Flying, border control, and COVID

• 13 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi all

Sorry if this quesetion is silly but its my (19M) first big solo trip and its also my first time interrailing. I have a question about border control + COVID

When starting my journey ill actually be flying to my first destination (Sevilla) from England. My last destination will be 7 weeks later in Amsterdam and then I will fly home again. Will I have any problems at border control in the airport when they see I landed in Spain and was just chilling in Europe for 2 months and then ended up in Amsterdam to fly back? I assume my passport wont get stamped between countries when using a train so Im concerned I’ll experience problems trying to get home.

Also nothing to worry about with Brexit , right? How early before departing a country / city shall i check covid requirements? Is it necessary to check when travelling in country (e.g: Madrid to Barcelona?)

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For COVID requirements, check reopen.europa.eu. Do keep in mind that the rules change frequently and with little notice.

For the rest, if you have a passport, you should be fine, but you can check with the British Foreign Office. That's a more reliable source than opinions on this forum...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ad34k just note you can stay only 90days within a 180days period Visafree in the Schengenarea (Switzerland count aswell for Schengen) Countries like Croatia or Romania not.

If you stay more then 90days in the "Schengenzone" you risk a fine or even a reentry ban :/ 

You pass should be stamped always when you leave the Schengenzone e.g. train from Slovenia to Croatia. As otherwise you have no legit proof when you left it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

YOur main first prob will be to pass the UK safety check at airport-yesterday it took me well over 1 hr with endless Q-ing. There is however still NO passpt check on leaving UK.

To ENTER ESpana you must have that passpt (the odd Brits do not believe in ID-cards so they think anyone should use it-it will not be stamped-its all electronic these days. AND you must have a corona-check in your fone (or printed)-google and it will show up. In ES they still wear masks and have distacning and all that. There will be no further border checks-as a general rule- in the assorted Schengen countries-untill you leave them.