Skip to main content

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well!

I hope this question is accepted even though it’s not all about interrailing...

I was planning to go interrailling with my best friend this summer, but now she got a new job and can’t go (luckily we didn’t get tickets yet). I cannot stress how much I want to go travelling and see the world. I graduated from high school a year ago and really need to experience something different, as I don’t know what to study yet - and I saved up a bit of money from working by now. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on what I should do: solo travel, group tours, guide school, voluntary work, au pair or workaway etc... I am open to all suggestions, vague or specific :) 

Also if anyone is in the same situation/same age, maybe we can become travel partners (I am 19 and love to meet new people)

Thank you!

Hi Emilie, great to hear you want to embark on an adventure! Well, what you can do is totally up to you of course. However, I can say that anything you choose will give you a different experience, and whatever you choose you will always find like-minded people along the way.

I usually travel solo and went on my first trip when I was your age. My trip lasted for 10 days, so I could get a feel of what it's like. So perhaps take it small and see if it's something you enjoy? 

I also did a workaction at a campsite a couple of years ago. This requires a bit more planning, because you have to apply for a job and arrange the journey, etc. There are of course many things you can do, paid and unpaid. It's something that I'd like to do again in the future in a different position.

And remember, there's always a next year and the year after if you want to do multiple things.

Cheers, Mattheas