Solved

from Zermatt to Stuttgart

• 15 November 2022
  • 29 replies

Badge +1
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 13 replies

need some help

we need to travel from Zermatt to Stuttgart and the fares are really expensive, like Euro 270 for 2 adults and 2 kids aged 12 and 6. 

is there a cheaper way? maybe by buying a swiss pass? or 1 day pass? and if i buy a 1 day pas, i will have to pay for reservation since i have large luggage?

thks in advance

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 15 November 2022, 20:34

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

sorry mine selection is for 2 persons

is it cheaper to use the Baden Württemberg ticket as suggested by @mcadv, do you know?

In that case, do the calculations yourself. On the DB website, compare the price for Visp-Stuttgart to the price Visp-Singen plus 1 BW-Ticket for 2 persons (31€, the children travel for free).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

i am wondering why for the same train it shows 139euro in my system?

can i check whats the link to book the Superspar Preis Europa 

The IC2386 for 139€ is the same train like RE87 for 71,80€. This is because this IC train is possible to use also with local train tickets, so it has two train numbers one as IC and one as RE. But it is the same train.

Badge +1

sorry mine selection is for 2 persons

is it cheaper to use the Baden Württemberg ticket as suggested by @mcadv, do you know?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

so maybe it makes sense to get for 2 adults i.e. 140 CHF and then buy a separate ticket from Singen to Stuttgart?

Possibly.

Also compare that to splitting at Visp: Zermatt-Visp at sbb.ch and Visp-Stuttgart from DB. DB can't issue through tickets to/from Zermatt anymore but I noticed DB does not split tickets at the most favourable places (e.g. in Zurich).

Also compare routes via Stuttgart and via Basel. I'd expect via Stuttgart to be cheaper, but you need to force that route to see all possibilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As I can see you should get a German ticket from Basel Bad.

That depends on the route. Via Singen or Basel takes approximately the same time. For the route via Singen, Swiss tickets are valid until Schaffhausen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

any idea where i can collect the swiss family card? Is there a way to use it on point to point fares ONLINE? e.g. from Zermatt to Visp?

You collect it at a Swiss Railway Station. You just don't buy a ticket for the children so you don't need to add it online.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm not sure that you can get the Swiss Family Card in Zermatt but you must pass bigger Railway station in order to get to Zermatt so I'm sure that it will work out for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is an SBB ticket office at Zermatt so you should be able to get your Swiss Family Cards there.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/at-the-station/railway-stations/station.1689.zermatt.html

Badge +1

Hi hi, 

can you advice if i am thinking of travelling from Zermatt to Visp, then Visp to Stuttgart via any route that is the cheapest on 11th Dec 2022, i can use the Baden Wurttemberg from which station?

Badge +1

i managed to find Zermatt to Visp at CHF35, then Visp to Stuttgart via Zurich at Euro139

seems like this is the cheapest?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

i managed to find Zermatt to Visp at CHF35, then Visp to Stuttgart via Zurich at Euro139

seems like this is the cheapest?

No, if you book a Superspar Preis Europa at bahn.com for the train leaving Visp 11.27 the cost Visp - Stuttgart is 35.90 EUR per adult if you travel via Bern. Children are free.

Badge +1

i am wondering why for the same train it shows 139euro in my system?

can i check whats the link to book the Superspar Preis Europa 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I checked in the DB app. What price do you get if you check there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I get the 35.90 EUR per adult at bahn.com as well. Are you sure that you are checking the price for the correct date, the 11th of December? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are those prices for 2 persons? In that case you have the price there with 71.80 EUR for the 3rd train.

Badge +1

Children under 16 travel for free in Switzerland with a Swiss Family Card.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-se/planning/transport-accommodation/tickets-public-transport/swiss-family-card/

Children under 15 travel for free in Germany.

When will you be travelling?

i am not sure but when i checked they said that swiss family card is not complimentary, but at a price

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

i am not sure but when i checked they said that swiss family card is not complimentary, but at a price

Apparently the information in English is wrong.  When I look at the text in German at SBB it says that the "Kinder- Mitfahrkarte" has a price of 30 CHF per child. 

Sorry for giving wrong information, but I thought that the texts in English that I read were correct. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For this journey only, a rail pass will not be cheaper.

Where did you check fares? Did you check and compare bahn.com and sbb.ch?
What is your travel date?
As long as you can carry your own luggage, you'll be fine.

Badge +1

i am looking at saver day pass that costs 52euro each adult n 19 euro each kid. 

11th Dec, and yes i checked both bahn and sbb

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Children under 16 travel for free in Switzerland with a Swiss Family Card.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-se/planning/transport-accommodation/tickets-public-transport/swiss-family-card/

Children under 15 travel for free in Germany.

When will you be travelling?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you today buy a Day Saver Pass for the 11th of December the price is 70 CHF. The prices increases as it gets closer to the day you want to travel. A Day Saver Pass for tomorrow is 119 CHF.

Badge +1

so maybe it makes sense to get for 2 adults i.e. 140 CHF and then buy a separate ticket from Singen to Stuttgart?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That might be true. You need to check from where you need to buy a ticket for the German part of the travel. I guess that @rvdborgt knows that.

But you won't go by train to Zermatt then? 

Badge +1

the saver day pass should allow my travel from Zermatt main station to Singen (german town border swiss) and kids travel free?

and the part from singen to stuttgart i can buy separately on bahn.com?

not sure if this works?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

the saver day pass should allow my travel from Zermatt main station to Singen (german town border swiss) and kids travel free?

and the part from singen to stuttgart i can buy separately on bahn.com?

not sure if this works?

Yes, that should work fine.