Solved

Help - Struggling to understand using trains in Greece

• 26 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Apologies for the novice question. I am travelling from London to Athens using the global pass. It feels sensible to work back so I am trying to book my last journey first - Thessaloniki to Athens on 26 July. I have seen some info saying you can only book from a local greek train station (very unhelpful if true) and other info that you can book online in advance. I have looked at the Hellenic website but that doesn’t show any trains for the 26th July but this is a popular route. Surely that can’t be right?

My two questions:

Where can I find the times of these trains because no where seems to say they have any trains on this route on this day, which seems strange?

Can I book a ticket in advance for this train, if so what is the best website to do which takes interail global pass?

All help greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 26 February 2024, 19:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Greek railways don't publish timetables a long time in advance. Take a look at timetables on a closer date to get an idea.

Pass reservations can indeed only be booked at a Greek ticket office. They're free of charge.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to be a pain but what do you mean by pass reservations can indeed only be booked at a Greek ticket office? Are you saying that I can’t book in advance? 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can't make the reservation in advance unless you visit a Greek ticket office some time before your train leaves.