Solved

overnight travel

I am trying to see if I can travel overnight from Kraków Poland, returning west, Germany or other since since it is such a long journey?

Thank you for any help!

icon

Best answer by Hektor 17 April 2024, 21:58

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes! There is the very convenient Warsaw - Munich night train, stopping in Krakow in the evening.

Map here: https://nachtzugkarte.de/en/

I am trying to see if I can travel overnight from Kraków Poland, returning west, Germany or other since since it is such a long journey?

Thank you for any help!

You didn't provide a travel date and where you'd like to go exactly but there are two convenient possibilities:

At 21.51 a night train to Szczecin with connection e.g. to Lübeck or Berlin if you are heading to the north of Germany (train is going to Świnoujście for e.g. Usedom).

At 22.35 a night train to München ((much) more expensive in some categories) if you are heading to the south of Germany. 

Thank you so much for the replies thus far.

I will be traveling on 1 May

In looking at the previous posts map and your two suggestions are these included in your Eurail pass?

They are both included and do both have seating, couchette and sleeper carriages (the higher the category the more expensive).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Polish domestic night trains are cheap. However they’re not easy to book…

Where exactly do you want to go ? There is a Prague - Amsterdam/Brussels but it runs the day earlier or later. There are 2 rather affordable Prague - Zurich services (152€ for a double private sleeper for example). For both options you’d have to leave Krakow in the late morning though.

Another good alternative would be to reach Vienna, the night trains capital, by leaving Krakow at 13:55. There are services from there in every direction : from Bregenz (shiny new carriages + cheap as it’s subsidised) to Rome and Paris (expensive).

Feel free to ask.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can book them on cd.cz. But you sometimes have to be fast. Booking opens 30 days in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can book them on cd.cz. But you sometimes have to be fast. Booking opens 30 days in advance.

I indeed tried. Seats work fine but not for the couchettes (while they’re available on intercity.pl). But maybe I did something wrong… very plausible haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I indeed tried. Seats work fine but not for the couchettes (while they’re available on intercity.pl). But maybe I did something wrong… very plausible haha

I’ve seen sleeper reservations booked that way. But the PKP reservations system is… well… suboptimal.

Yes, you can. Poland to Germany, There are direct overnight trains from Krakow to destinations in Germany like Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne. These often have sleeper car options. Some connections may require a transfer in Warsaw or Poznan.

They are both included and do both have seating, couchette and sleeper carriages (the higher the category the more expensive).

Hector, thank you very much for your helpful responses! We've been using my Eurail pass a little bit and it is still a struggle.

Our next stop is Krakow, Poland. We will be departing on May 1 and would like to go on an overnight train to Vienna, Austria. Is there anyway that you can direct me to what I need to do, and how to reserve overnight train accommodations?

I really appreciate any help.

Dan

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Our next stop is Krakow, Poland. We will be departing on May 1 and would like to go on an overnight train to Vienna, Austria. Is there anyway that you can direct me to what I need to do, and how to reserve overnight train accommodations?

This night train can be booked on tickets.oebb.at: add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets” (NOT "Seat reservation only”).

There is still availability in the sleeper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is a night train but I wouldn’t recommend it: 22:35 departure (nothing wrong with that) but 04:46 arrival. You’ll basically have no sleep as the distance is simply too short. It is pretty much full too: only sleepers are available, 270€ for a double compartment… (expensive!)

On the other hand there are 3 carriages going to Budapest: 22:35 departure, 08:29 arrival. It would be a far better experience. However I cannot check availability right now it seems… maybe it works for someone else?

Personally I’d either take the Budapest night train (if available) or the afternoon train towards Vienna.

Thank you. I think the web address you gave me has the @ symbol confused and with an extension. 

This night train can be booked on tickets.oebb.at:

Would you please provide?  Thanks, Dan

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is the website: https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket

You basically have to remove the : and it works. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you. I think the web address you gave me has the @ symbol confused and with an extension. 

This night train can be booked on tickets.oebb.at:

If you see an @ sign in the above address, then your browser is playing tricks on you.

This night train can be booked on tickets.oebb.at: add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets” (NOT "Seat reservation only”).

There is still availability in the sleeper.

Hector, you have been an incredible help! Thank you! I think I have this website figured out.

I have another question though. I'm trying to make a reservation and it says “seat reservations recommended from” six euros”. I cannot figure out how to make the reservations on the Eurail pass app.

Can you help me?  Dan

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For which train exactly?

The night train only has sleepers left and they're a little bit more expensive than that.

The app cannot book anything, you only log your journeys there. Reservations are available on eurail.com but there are extra fees, no seat selection, etc.

For a good overview have a look here: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm