Suitable bank card for travelling around Europe

• 2 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’ve been looking into bank cards for when I travel Europe and was wondering what cards have been used without having any problems with them. I’m thinking of using Sterling bank but want to know if you get to decide weather you pay in GBP or the local currency when using the card, does it work in all countries across Europe, do some places not accept a Sterling bank card. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The question is what is written on the Sterling BankCard (VPay or Maestro?) or even the Debit/Creditcards(Diners,Americanexpress,Visa,Mastercard?)

Vpay,Maestro,Visa and Mastercard are usually the standard cards that can be used almost everywhere in Europe :)
Sometimes the Cardterminal let you decide if they should do the bank action in GBP or in the local currency :) What is better depends on the Conditions of your Bank :)

I have for example a Visa Creditcard that i can use for free in foreign countries and it´s for me better to use local currency as then they use the Standard Bankexchange rate and not a worse rate selected by the shop ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sometimes the Cardterminal let you decide if they should do the bank action in GBP or in the local currency 🙂 What is better depends on the Conditions of your Bank :)

In theory, yes, but until now in these situations choosing the local currency was always the best option by far.

I have for example a Visa Creditcard that i can use for free in foreign countries and it´s for me better to use local currency as then they use the Standard Bankexchange rate and not a worse rate selected by the shop ;)

I have a very cheap credit card for EUR payments. This credit card has a 2.15% markup for other currencies (which I don't use it for). I have a Revolut card for payments in other currencies, which uses the interbank rate, with only a 1% markup during weekends.