Skip to main content

Hello I am travelling from australia late december this year with my husband and 3 sons who are all teens.  We will stay in amsterdam and plan go visit paris and switzerland from 26 Dec to 2nd Jan then need to get back to amsterdam on 3rd Jan. I havd bought 10 days EUrail flexi global pass.  My son loves train i am thinking to ride on Glacier Express and travel on nightjet back to amsterdam.  Would someone please give me advice?  Should i ride Berina train as well? How to reserve night jet please?

Many thanks. 

First of all, you need to be aware of the timetable change on December 15th. There are no trains yet available for booking after that date for now (you should expect them to show up half October) - but it won’t change that much with the timetables for e.g. next week.

It might be cheaper to get ordinary Eurostar (High speed train Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris) tickets from Amsterdam to Paris, then the cost of a pass-day + reservation. Check it out on the website of Eurostar.

How to get night jet reservations? You can check that here:

Before I forget, folowwing website is absolute golden to get you acquainted Ith the ins and outs of European rail travel. Be sure to read it thoroughly:

https://www.seat61.com/european-train-travel.htm

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm

Hi Celiapy, 

Sounds like a great plan.  Just to let you know the nightjet that does Amsterdam to Switzerland runs on very old trains - I have done this a couple of times including last weekend.

It’s nowhere near as comfortable as on the other nightjet routes - last weekend the sleeper coach had a technical problem and was replaced by couchettes.  There were also no hot drinks available due to a fault with the machine (so no coffee with breakfast).   

Another +1 for the seat61 site though. The glacier express is a great trip I’m sure you’ll enjoy, but it’s also possible to ride the same (or part of the) route on the regular trains too, just as scenic but you don’t need to pay the supplement or reservation.  

Have fun with your plans :) 

kes1