Solved

Booking issues Paris to Lausanne

• 13 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I'm looking to book a trip from Paris through to Switzerland in late July. It looks like the most direct option with the least changes is Paris to Lausanne. However, when I go to book via the Eurail site it says that there are no seats available. No Eurail options are available for this timeframe on Rail Europe either.

I've looked through other options on the day, and no TGV options are bookable while one INOUI option is. The same seems to be the case for the surrounding days. 

If I try and book earlier in the year, options are available for most tickets up until the end of June. Is there an earliest possible booking timeframe that I should be aware of? Looking online, some sources say up to two months in advance and that reservations are not limited for TGV Lyria, while others say three. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 13 May 2024, 13:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah there seems to be issues with that route through Eurail or Rail Europe (to Barcelona too).

What's your exact travel date? I'd wait a few days, these trains won't sell out so far in advance.

Reservations should be available as regular tickets are as well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking around the 26th. From my searches trying to work things out, options to book the scheduled service I'm interested in (and other TGV options that I've investigated) currently disappear looking past the last weekend of June.

When I search tickets past the end of June, supposed ticket reservation prices display. However, these disappear and are replaced by a no tickets available notice when I click on an option

Yeah there seems to be issues with that route through Eurail or Rail Europe (to Barcelona too).

What's your exact travel date? I'd wait a few days, these trains won't sell out so far in advance.

Reservations should be available as regular tickets are as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

26th July won't work for sure. That date is currently blocked while the authorities figure out the security concept for the Olympics Games opening.

I've heard that they could fully close Gare de Lyon, Gare d'Austerlitz and/or Bercy (meaning high-speed trains redirected to another one). There will be less trains and extra security measures for sure.

Let's wait and see…

Other dates should work though. A random look at 24th or 25th July works for Paris - Lausanne (through Rail Europe). Let me know.

I've just spotted that, bad timing.. We'd booked early through to Paris hoping to dodge tickets running out quickly in the hope that carrying on through wouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they announce plans shortly so we can make plans accordingly. I'll be sure to reply if I find out anything more.