Solved

Bucharest to Istanbul

• 31 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

How can I still get on the train? It says that the seat reservation is free. Do I have to reserve the seat on the spot? How much does a normal ticket to Istanbul cost?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 July 2023, 04:30

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The app is wrong. There are no seats to Istanbul and they wouldn't be free. From Bucharest, there's only 1 couchette coach.

Booking a reservation online is not possible, only regular tickets can be booked online. Since there is no pass quota, that means you can see availability of the CFR website. Buying a reservation is only possible in Romania. Currently there are still places available.

If they can't sell a reservation anymore at the ticket office, then ask the couchette coach attendant (you'll probably have to pay cash). If that doesn't work, then you can take the same train on a seat to Dimitrovgrad (you'll have to change in Gorna Orjahovica). In Dimitrovgrad, the carriages from Sofia are attached, so you can again ask the their attendants if there are any free places. Only couchettes and sleepers continue to Halkali, so you'll need to get a place there.

I see you have activated your journey already. If you have a flexipass, that not a good idea. The best is not to activate anything in advance, certainly not if you first need a reservation. If you have a flexipass, just cancel the travel day and only activate it shortly before boarding.