Solved

Caledonian Sleeper Problem

My problem is that I’ve reserved a room on the Caledonian, leaving Glasgow at 11:40. It arrives in London at 7:15am the following day. I am then travelling to Paris later that morning on Eurostar.

As things stand, this journey uses up both my ‘home’ travel days, which is far from ideal, to say the least. I can’t afford to pay for a return Eurostar + Avanti WC to Scotland.

I’ve seen people mention that I could, perhaps alter the departure time to CET i.e. 00:40. I’ve done this in the app but will it work? I’m terrified that we’ll arrive at Glasgow and not be allowed to proceed.

I’ve also asked support to add a travel day - I’m waiting to hear back. The situation is ridiculous really - as things stand no-one can use the sleeper to travel south unless they are prepared to use up both allowed ‘home’ travel days.

Any help would be very gratefully received, as this is beyond stressful.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 12 March 2024, 11:04

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The conditions of use count travel days on the mobile pass from 0:00 until 23:59 CET, not local time.

Your night train leaves at 23:40, which is 0:40 CET, which is therefore on the same travel day as your Eurostar.

However, the app does not adhere to these conditions and uses local time. That means you either use a workaround (set the departure time after midnight local time) or customer service give you an extra travel day + extra inbound/outbound journey.

Thank you @rvdborgt, much appreciated. I can’t find the section in the conditions of use that state that travel days on the mobile pass are assumed as 0:00 until 23:59 CET. Could you please point me towards this information, as I need to refer to this when I next contact support. They are not being very supportive atm - I am hoping that common sense will prevail, as I’m not abusing the system in any way, just trying to get from Scotland to Paris in one trip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/what-is-a-travel-day

Thank you for the helpful responses. In the absence of definitive advice from Eurail, we’ve decided to stop worrying about this, use up our 2 days travelling out and will now fly back to Scotland from Berlin. On a positive note, this will give us more time travelling but the situation re sleeper trains on outward journeys really does need to be sorted out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad Can you please look at the problem with how trains departing between 23.00 and 23.59 GMT should be handled. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for the helpful responses. In the absence of definitive advice from Eurail, we’ve decided to stop worrying about this, use up our 2 days travelling out and will now fly back to Scotland from Berlin. On a positive note, this will give us more time travelling but the situation re sleeper trains on outward journeys really does need to be sorted out.

There's no reason to worry about it anyway. The conditions are what they are and need to be adhered to by all parties. That means that customer support must either provide a fix or workaround in advance, or fix it after the facts. Any extra costs because of this bug in the app must also be reimbursed. Eurail have known this bug for at least a year now so they've had enough time to think about how to handle it.

@rvdborgt The worry came from customer support insisting that it would use up both travel days and that no-one here is able to say that they have used the work-arounds without issues when boarding the Caledonian sleeper train. Thanks again for you help here, much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The worry came from customer support insisting that it would use up both travel days and that no-one here is able to say that they have used the work-arounds without issues when boarding the Caledonian sleeper train.

@Camilo. @Mukhammad It's worrying that customer support ignore the Conditions of Use with respect to the definition of a travel day for mobile passes. This problem has been around for as long as I can remember and was reported already a long time ago, so I'd expect that there's a standard way of handling this. Is there?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@rvdborgt 

I will investigate this 😉

@shropshirelad Is the workaround to change to 00:40 CET worked for you. I also in same situation and want to board Caledonian Sleeper at 23.40 from Edinburgh to London on 17/05. My thread here Night travel - will count day1 or day2 ? | Community (eurail.com)

@shropshirelad Is the workaround to change to 00:40 CET worked for you. I also in same situation and want to board Caledonian Sleeper at 23.40 from Edinburgh to London on 17/05. My thread here Night travel - will count day1 or day2 ? | Community (eurail.com)

@Trip2EU I haven’t travelled yet but support have reached out to me and have been helpful. Perhaps worth while getting in touch with them. I wish this situation could be fixed, as your journey, like mine, is clearly one continuous outward journey and should be treated as such without resort to work arounds etc.