Skip to main content
Solved

Eurail Global Pass first time user

• 23 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time here. I will be travelling to France this coming August 3-9. 

August 3-5, Paris France

August 5-9, Colmar France

Now here’s the tricky part on my travel situation. I have a booked hotel in Colmar, France from August 5-9 and I am planning to visit different country on the duration of my stay in Colmar. The travel would be to and from each day. I know it’s not the most ideal itinerary but I made a mistake booking the hotel and so I decided to just make the most of it. 

I have bought a global pass for 5 days. I still can use my global pass even if i have go back to Colmar at the end of each day after visiting a different European country?

Appreciate all the replies.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes sure. The only limitation is that Interrail travellers can only travel on max 2 days in their country of residence (with some exceptions). Not applicable to you.

Colmar lies on the mainline towards Basel/Switzerland -> convenient. You could even go all the way to Interlaken and board the included boats there!

Reaching Germany is a little more complicated as Strasbourg - Offenburg has infrequent tiny trains.

On a travel day you can do whatever you want. :)

Don't forget to book Paris - Strasbourg/Colmar reservations ASAP. The high-speed trains will sell out. Rest of the trip doesn't have seat reservations.

Thank you for your reply. 

I have bought the first class global pass and on the August 9th, will be travelling to London. I have to also make a reservation from Paris - London?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you for your reply. 

I have bought the first class global pass and on the August 9th, will be travelling to London. I have to also make a reservation from Paris - London?

Absolutely! If there’s one train in Europe where you won’t get on without a reservation, it’s the Eurostar from/to London. Get this reservation ASAP!

And you might be too late already to buy those, since the 9th is a Friday (always busy). And don’t forget that there are olympics in Paris! Checked quickly, and luckily here still quite some departures left.