Solved

Help with going from Taranto to Pompei - train disruption

Hello,

I am travelling with a group of friends through Italy in August. One of our planned routes is between the cities of Taranto and Pompei on August 15th.

As I checked the timetables on Interrail website for updates recently, it seems there is a disruption on the route.

We will have to take a train from Taranto to Potenza, then change there to a bus in direction do Salerno and then take a suburban train from Salerno to Pompei. See the screenshot below.

The train/bus codes are: RE 34396, BusPZ446 and SUB21332.

I contacted Trenitalia if the Global Pass applies to the bus and suburban train and they were only able to confirm that it does not apply to the suburban train (we will have to buy a full ticket for that - at least it’s only about 4 EUR).

So I don’t know any details about the bus: is it a rail replacement bus, or a normal long distance bus? Will we have to make a seat reservation?

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? I’ll be really glad to hear any advice from you guys!

Thank you,

Jan

icon

Best answer by Mukhammad 4 August 2023, 14:09

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The bus is a rail replacement bus operated by (or on behalf of) Trenitalia. The regional train normally continues to Salerno and this is the replacement because of engineering works.

The train Salerno-Pompei is also operated by Trenitalia.

That means that your pass is valid for the whole journey.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. both the app and the website claim suburban trains on this route (Salerno-Napoli) have mandatory reservations, which of course is nonsense.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The bus is a rail replacement bus operated by (or on behalf of) Trenitalia. The regional train normally continues to Salerno and this is the replacement because of engineering works.

The train Salerno-Pompei is also operated by Trenitalia.

That means that your pass is valid for the whole journey.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. both the app and the website claim suburban trains on this route (Salerno-Napoli) have mandatory reservations, which of course is nonsense.

Hi @rvdborgt do you mean the suburbans from Salerno to Pompei?

I'll ask our reservation team if those suburbans should not have any mandatory reservation and are supposed to be in the Pass's network. Thanks again for flagging this up!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

both the app and the website claim suburban trains on this route (Salerno-Napoli) have mandatory reservations, which of course is nonsense.

Hi @rvdborgt do you mean the suburbans from Salerno to Pompei?

Yes, they run Salerno-Napoli via Pompei. It's one of the suburban lines around Napoli run by Trenitalia:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linea_2_(servizio_ferroviario_metropolitano_di_Napoli)

I'll ask our reservation team if those suburbans should not have any mandatory reservation and are supposed to be in the Pass's network.

Since Trenitalia run them, the answer should be clear...

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@rvdborgt Yes, you're right. It goes to direction Napoli Campi Flegrei according to the app. I'll add more info as the Trenitalia staff made a mistake in recognizing this train as not in the Pass's network.

Thanks!

@rvdborgt @Mukhammad  thank you for your insights!

Please let me know about any updates 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

FYI there will be a direct Frecciarossa Roma Termini to Pompei every third Sunday starting from 16 Jul 2023. 

TIMETABLE

Frecciarossa:

Roma Termini 8.53

Napoli Centrale 10.03

Pompei 10.40.

bus Pompei Link

bus Pompei Link

Frecciarossa:

Pompei 18.40

Napoli Centrale 19.23 

Roma Termini 20.55.

@Mukhammad do you have any updates on this case?

Thank you 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@janzemlicka 

Until today, there's no update from the relevant team about the official statement from Trenitalia regarding this suburban train.

In the meantime I can only advise you to buy a separate full fare ticket to board the suburban train, or you can also use the direct Frecciarossa train as suggested by @Angelo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since this train is operated by Trenitalia, you can just use it without any additional ticket, until they formally notice Eurail otherwise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Dear everyone,

I have just received the information from our product team. These regional trains are indeed valid for passholders and replacement buses should be as well, as operated by Trenitalia. But somehow the railway company have sent odd data to Merits, which then reflects on our reservation page and app.

The schedule for trains from Torento to Pompei has been updated, even though the reservation attributes are still not corrected yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have just received the information from our product team. These regional trains are indeed valid for passholders and replacement buses should be as well, as operated by Trenitalia. But somehow the railway company have sent odd data to Merits, which then reflects on our reservation page and app.

Trenitalia are doing odd things with other trains as well. For their Freccia and IC trains, they omit the attribute for compulsory reservations… which I assume you have added yourself for the rail planner app.