Skip to main content
Solved

How are inbound journeys counted?

• 18 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all! It’s my first time traveling with Interrail (Global Pass) and I’m wondering if I’ve gotten myself into an unfortunate situation with my inbound journey.

My home country is Sweden, and my return plan is to take an overnight train from Hamburg to Malmö, then transfer there and return to Stockholm (I’ve booked the seats for these two stretches together, from Snälltåget’s website). However, I’m wondering if I’ll actually be able to travel both of these stretches using my inbound journey, as the overnight train leaves Hamburg at 11:59pm, and I’m concerned that this will be marked as two trips involving Sweden on two different days (Hamburg-Malmö departing on Tuesday eagain, this is at 23:59], and Malmö-Stockholm on Wednesday). I know night train travel days are assigned to the date of departure, but I haven’t been able to find any other clear information on how the rules apply here.

If anyone would be able to tell me how the inbound journey rule applies here, and what I could do, I would be super grateful!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That journey would use 2 of your pass days, incl. 2 inbound/outbound "days". However you can log the train as a single one since it bears the same number (some carriages go all the way from Hamburg to Stockholm).

Or if the pass days don't matter to you, that works too. Swedish travellers have currently 4 inbound/outbound "days" as part of a test (and because the country is so big). So you could log both journeys separately...

Hope it's understandable...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Om du åker med Snälltåget och byter vagn i Malmö så räknas det som samma tåg. Detta är ett specialfall eftersom vissa vagnar på tåget går Berlin-Hamburg-Stockholm, medan andra vagnar bara går Berlin-Hamburg-Malmö, respektive Malmö-Stockholm. Det vore konstigt om det skulle gå åt olika antal resdagar beroende på vilken vagn man får plats i. Om du inte hittar direkttåget i Railplanner-appen så lägg till det manuellt.