Solved

How to book train tickets from Lisbon to Porto

• 11 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hey there,

I am trying to book a train from LISBON - SANTA APOLONIA (Portugal) to PORTO - CAMPANHA (Portugal).  When I enter the relevant details on the interrail planner I get the following.

There is no relevant information on the more information.  So I assume I need to book directly from CP - Comboios de Portugal.  But when I try and book there, it is full price.  I couldn’t see anything that said I just need to reserve a seat.  If that is the case, then why do I need a Eurorail pass?  I have Eurorail global pass

Maybe I missed a step, can someone help please?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Al_G 11 March 2024, 04:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

CP reservations can not be made online, you will have to make them at station ticket offices in Portugal.

IC and Alfa Pendular services require reservations, cost €5, all other trains are unreserved.

Thank you for your reply.  Is there a website for IC I can use? same for Alfa Pendular? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is there a website for IC I can use? same for Alfa Pendular? 

I repeat: pass reservations for those trains cannot be booked online.

so just to clarify, there is no way to reserve tickets before I travel from Lisbon to Porto (I am currently in Australia).

My only option is to go to the station once I am in Lisbon to reserve a seat.  So I assume there is no guarantees that I can get a seat on the train?   Is that correct?

So my Euro rail pass can be used without a seat reservation.  Can be standing only worst case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass is your ticket; you only need a reservation, which is a different thing.

You can only book a pass reservation in Portugal. You can do that at any ticket office there. Seats are normally available even at the last moment, but you can book a reservation as soon as you get to Portugal.

In Portugal, seat reservations are mandatory in IC and AP. You're not allowed on the train without one.