Solved

How to book train tickets from Lisbon to Porto

• 11 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hey there,

I am trying to book a train from LISBON - SANTA APOLONIA (Portugal) to PORTO - CAMPANHA (Portugal).  When I enter the relevant details on the interrail planner I get the following.

There is no relevant information on the more information.  So I assume I need to book directly from CP - Comboios de Portugal.  But when I try and book there, it is full price.  I couldn’t see anything that said I just need to reserve a seat.  If that is the case, then why do I need a Eurorail pass?  I have Eurorail global pass

Maybe I missed a step, can someone help please?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Al_G 11 March 2024, 04:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass is your ticket; you only need a reservation, which is a different thing.

You can only book a pass reservation in Portugal. You can do that at any ticket office there. Seats are normally available even at the last moment, but you can book a reservation as soon as you get to Portugal.

In Portugal, seat reservations are mandatory in IC and AP. You're not allowed on the train without one.

so just to clarify, there is no way to reserve tickets before I travel from Lisbon to Porto (I am currently in Australia).

My only option is to go to the station once I am in Lisbon to reserve a seat.  So I assume there is no guarantees that I can get a seat on the train?   Is that correct?

So my Euro rail pass can be used without a seat reservation.  Can be standing only worst case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is there a website for IC I can use? same for Alfa Pendular? 

I repeat: pass reservations for those trains cannot be booked online.

Thank you for your reply.  Is there a website for IC I can use? same for Alfa Pendular? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

CP reservations can not be made online, you will have to make them at station ticket offices in Portugal.

IC and Alfa Pendular services require reservations, cost €5, all other trains are unreserved.