Solved

INFO ON THE MUNICH-BRUSSELS ROUTE

• 19 November 2023
  • 13 replies

Hi,

my name is Paola and I come from Italy. Among my passions are travel: when I can, I particularly like traveling by train, calmly admiring the various landscapes that follow one another while looking out of the windows.

I'm organizing a train trip to Belgium with my family, but unfortunately I've become afraid of certain types of routes, which I've never had!

Does anyone know if there are long tunnels along the Munich-Stuttgart/Nuremberg-Frankfurt-Cologne-Brussels route? I already know the ones up to Munich …

Thanks in advance for the help.

icon

Best answer by MartinM 19 November 2023, 21:21

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Paola,

there are AFAIK no tunnels longer than 8-9km on that route in Germany.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are a few tunnels between Liège and Aachen. None of them very long. The old line (via Verviers) is much more scenic though.

Thank you very much for your kind and helpful responses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’d also add that the Rhine Gorge route is very scenic : Mainz - Koblenz - Cologne. There is also a few times a day a 1st class SBB panorama coach if you’d like to include it ! More info : https://www.seat61.com/places-of-interest/rails-down-the-rhine.htm

It takes obviously longer than the high-speed line running along the highway and through multiple (somewhat short) tunnels.

Many thanks also for this reply with such an interesting suggestion.
I'm also happy to know that on the traditional route the tunnels aren't too long.
Do you know approximately how many there are and how many minutes the longest ones last?

P.S.

Do you suggest the Munich-Frankfurt route via Stuttgard or via Nuremberg, to pass through as few tunnels as possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Many thanks also for this reply with such an interesting suggestion.
I'm also happy to know that on the traditional route the tunnels aren't too long.
Do you know approximately how many there are and how many minutes the longest ones last?

No I'm afraid it's too much to ask for that. You could look at a cabride on Youtube for example.

Simply know that there will be tunnels but that they won't ruin the view.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have a look at https://openrailwaymap.org/ to check for tunnels.

Thank you so much!
I will calmly consult the map, because my problem is not the lack of view, but the anxiety about the tunnels that I have never had ...

Buongiorno,

sto consultando l’utilissima mappa al link https://openrailwaymap.org/ .

Quando ci sono “Linee ad alta velocità” significa che i treni fanno una tratta sotterranea o semplicemente che vanno più veloci?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

High speed lines just means trains can go faster. Tunnels are indicated in a lighter shade. Here's an example of a tunnel east of Liège:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It simply means that it's a high-speed railway. There are generally more tunnels on those lines (to avoid curves).

Grazie ancora, siete davvero molto esperti e molto gentili!😀