Solved

Is a credit card needed?

• 21 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, I will be traveling soon for one month. I was wondering wether I need a credit card or if I will be fine with just a debit card.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Sarah from Germany

icon

Best answer by zagmund 21 April 2024, 21:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi Sarah,

For the interrail itself - you won’t need one since it is already paid for.

Some hotels and car hire may require a credit card and not accept a debit card, but this is a forum about rail travel, so that’s outside the scope.  If you are just traveling from city to city enjoying the sights and staying in normal accommodation you shouldn’t need a credit card.

Hi Sarah,

For the interrail itself - you won’t need one since it is already paid for.

Some hotels and car hire may require a credit card and not accept a debit card, but this is a forum about rail travel, so that’s outside the scope.  If you are just traveling from city to city enjoying the sights and staying in normal accommodation you shouldn’t need a credit card.

Thanks, this helped a lot! I will remember that this is a forum about rail travel next time! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There’s a few times a credit card will be useful.

1. Most car rental companies will want a credit card, not a debit card, for the deposit
  2. Same with some big hotels, they take a deposit, or ‘hold’ for your bill. But this is not common in cheap accommodation 
  3. In case of emergency - you need to buy a flight or hotel etc and you’ve run out of money
  4. A spare card - credit or debit - is always a good idea, in case yours gets lost, stolen, or blocked by the bank.