Skip to main content

Hi I’m hoping to find a way back from Milan to London, ideally using an over night sleeper train for part of the route.

Im open to all suggestions but have a slight preference for getting the Eurostar to London via Brussels rather than Paris.

Any help on this will be gratefully received:)

Hello @glassali 

No night train is available. You could make this trip in one day via Zürich - Basel - Cologne - Brussels, but, if you miss a connection, you will also miss the last Eurostar.

A better choice were via Zürich - Paris.

There’s a sleeper from Nice-Paris, but if you want to avoid Paris I guess you take your chances coming up through Germany with DB. Head to Basel or Zurich, then just keep working your way in the direction of Brussels, and be ready to reroute when the inevitable DB delays hit!

You could also take a sleeper Zurich to Cologne (then ICE to Brussels) or Amsterdam, and pick up a Eurostar there.

@glassali 

Another idea. You could travel via Basel - Strasbourg - Paris. You can change from the Gare de l’Est to the Gare du Nord by walking and avoid the metro in Paris.

What's the travel date? There are some engineering works on multiple Alpine routes at the moment.

In a travel day I'd go via Switzerland, Strasbourg and from there use that convenient TGV:

- TGV Strasbourg - Lille-Europe 17:01 - 20:16 10-20€

- plenty of time for passport controls

- Eurostar Lille-Europe - London St. Pancras 21:35 - 21:57 30€

Otherwise the 10 min walk from Gare de l'Est to Gare du Nord isn't too bad (much better than from Gare de Lyon).

In 2 travel days I'm forced to suggest the Bernina route haha. Simply stunning year-round. For example:

- Milan - Tirano - Chur - Basel (night)

- Basel - Strasbourg - Paris - London

Feel free to ask anything.

@glassali 

If you choose to sleep in Basel, you will probably find cheaper hotels in Saint-Louis (France) or Mulhouse.