Solved

Outbound

• 29 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I am planning to purchase a Global pass 4 days flexible in a month.

If I fly to a country and get a train from A to B on the same day. Does it count as my outbound journey? I prefer to use it as my travel day. I would like to keep my outbound for the second part of my holiday.

1 Travel day  Fly Switzerland to London / Get train to Cornwall   Not as outbound?

2 Travel day Cornwall to Birmingham 

Birmingham to London pay for this 

3 Inbound  London to Basel 

So I have 1 outbound to use. Right? Another holiday in the same month 

4 Outbound Basel to Vienna  and pay Vienna to Basel 

Is it okay to do it like this?

Do i have to register all my travel even if i pay for some days?

Thanks a lot

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 29 February 2024, 11:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The inbound/outbound is only used when you board a train in your country of residence (in your case Switzerland).

If you pay your own ticket until Zurich/Basel/Geneva Airport that's totally fine.

Birmingham - London (and any other train journeys in the UK) are very expensive so I suggest using a pass day. Get a longer pass, it'll be cheaper.

Note that Swiss residents have 3 inbound/outbound as part of a trial.

Also don't forget the mandatory seat reservations : Eurostar 30€ (passholder quota, you must book in advance) + TGV Lyria to Switzerland 29€.

Also possible to take a TGV until the last stop before the border (Strasbourg, Mulhouse, etc.) for 10-20€ and then cross the border on a regional train.

No of course if you buy separate tickets you don't log these journeys on Rail Planner!

Questions welcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Birmingham - London (and any other train journeys in the UK) are very expensive so I suggest using a pass day. Get a longer pass, it'll be cheaper.

While UK tickets can often be expensive, that isn’t always true.

Birmingham - London has 3 direct operators and some reasonably cheap fares, even without having to book in advance. A West Midlands Trains/LNR super off-peak single is £19, an off-peak single is £29. The only restriction on the latter is it cannot be used on trains arriving in London before 10am.