Solved

Overnight Train

• 23 August 2023
  • 5 replies

I am thinking about taking this overnight train and there seems to have a 2-hour transfer time.

Where do we go while we wait for the next train to arrive?

Do you get bunk bed on these trains?

Are there bullet trains to take?

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 23 August 2023, 11:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

They are regular seated trains, no beds.

Where you go inbetween trains? Loiter around the station probably, even the McDonalds in the station is listed as closed from 3-4am.

It would be a good way to spend a night not getting any sleep. Choose an alternative travel plan involving a bed for the night somewhere would be my advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That’s a very weird route you’ll be doing. Going from Amsterdam to Göttingen over Frankfurt is a looooong way round.

Transfers in the dead of night are not the most convenient way to travel. Waking up at 2AM to switch trains won’t get you much sleep and defeats the purpose of night trains. It’ll be just you, very few early (or late birds) and the hobo’s in the station.

Just take the normal IC day train Amsterdam-Berlin, bi hourly, change in Hannover to Göttingen and you’re a quick ICE ride away from Göttingen. Plan it via www.bahn.com

thanks guys. i wrongfully assumed it would be once of those train ride with bunkbeds. I understand these are just typical trains and I have to hop on and off for the transfer. 

That’s a very weird route you’ll be doing. Going from Amsterdam to Göttingen over Frankfurt is a looooong way round.

Transfers in the dead of night are not the most convenient way to travel. Waking up at 2AM to switch trains won’t get you much sleep and defeats the purpose of night trains. It’ll be just you, very few early (or late birds) and the hobo’s in the station.

Just take the normal IC day train Amsterdam-Berlin, bi hourly, change in Hannover to Göttingen and you’re a quick ICE ride away from Göttingen. Plan it via www.bahn.com

There are quite a few stations in Hannover. I assume I should use Hannover Hbf, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just enter Amsterdam Centraal - Göttingen for your intended route and you’ll see the most convenient options on your travel day.

The Hbf (or Hauptbahnhof - Central station) is usually your best go to arrive in bigger cities in German speaking countries.