Skip to main content

Hi, I have a 1 month Senior Interrail pass for the first time and my country of permanent residence is Spain. I am about to travel from my home in Malaga to London, via Madrid, Barcelona and Paris and that is all booked and sorted. However on my return trip I am taking the overnight Brittany Ferries from Plymouth to Santander, then onwards by train to Malaga via Madrid, all in the same afternoon. 

My question is this - does Santander count as a border point for entry into Spain, therefore allowing me to use the Interrail for 1 continous journey onwards on that day of arrival, or would it be considered an internal Spanish trip and so not valid?

Thanks

You can travel in Spain on 2 of your travel days and you can use them however you like. From Santander to to Málaga is certainly fine.

Thanks. This would make a truly amazing return journey (I hate flying) except it fails at the final hurdle when I have found it impossible to reserve on either the 1355 Santander to Madrid Alvia or the 1905 Madrid to Malaga AVE. Seats are there online but only for paid tickets. Also impossible to get on a Eurostar in time to make the afternoon Barcelona TGV from Paris. I give up. Easyjet it might have to be after all.

I have found it impossible to reserve on either the 1355 Santander to Madrid Alvia or the 1905 Madrid to Malaga AVE. Seats are there online but only for paid tickets.

Pass reservations for Spanish domestic trains are not available online. Renfe made Interrail stop selling them. They don't like Interrail and are generally passenger-hostile.

If you live in Spain, the easiest is to get them from a Renfe ticket office. If regular tickets are available, then pass reservations are also available, but not online.