Solved

Seat Reservation Routes (not available)

• 7 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi, I’m planning my honeymoon and yesterday I bought the global passes for me and my partner but I had some problems to buy the seat reservations in some routes. In RED the routes I couldn’t reserve, I mostly use the web page of ÖBB.

Day 1: Rome - Ljubljana (May 29th - 30th)

• 20:17 - 3:57 (7h40m) Roma - Villach 35€ x 2 (EN 294) 
  • 6:14 - 8:10 (1h56m) Villach - Liubliana 15€ x 2 (EN 40237) (This trip without the pass)

Day 2: Ljubljana - Graz, Graz - Liezen and Liezen - Vienna (day trip to Admont Abbey Library, August 2nd)

• 5:00 - 8:22 (3h22m) Liubliana - Graz 3€ x 2 (IC 311)
  • 9:45 - 11:26 (1h41m) Graz - Liezen 3€ x 2 (EC 164)
  •  
  • 18:32 - 20:14 (1h42m) Liezen - Graz 3€ x 2 (IC 611)
  • 21:26 - 00:02 (2h36m) Graz - Viena 3€ x 2 (FT 852) 

Day 3: Vienna - Hallstatt (August 8th)

• 5:03 - 6:54 (1h51m) Viena - Attnang-Puchheim 3€ x 2 (IC 60407)
  • 8:08 - 9:24 (1h16m) Attnang-Puchheim - Hallstatt (RE 4408) 

Day 4: Hallstatt - Salzburg, Salzburg - Florence, Florence - Rome (day trip to Salzburg and then a day trip to Florence, August 9th)
Departure at 22:30 from Salzburg and arrival at 6:50 in Florence

• 8:28 - 9:51 (1h23m) Hallstatt - Attnang-Puchheim (RE 3411) 
  • 10:55 - 11:38 (43m) Attnang-Puchheim - Salzburgo 1.90€ x 2 (RJ 546) (westbahn)
  • 22:02 - 6:57 (8h55m) Salzburgo - Florencia ~50€ x 2 (NJ 295) 

Day 5: Florence - Rome (August 10th)

• 19:33 - 21:10 (1h37m) Florencia - Roma 13€ x 2 (FR 8527)

At fist I thought it was for the date, but in some routes I didn’t have problems at the same day. I hope you could help me and undestand what I trying to say.

English is noy my first language :)

icon

Best answer by ralderton 8 April 2024, 10:27

View original

7 replies

Sorry, I meant Day 1: Rome - Ljubljana (July 29th - 30th)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Day 1

It’s possible that there is construction work on your dates, so the trains have not been released for sale yet. Right now, you can take a train to Padova, then the Nightjet from Padova to Villach. In any case, this doesn’t look like a pleasant journey!

I might suggest Rome to Venice or Trieste in the evening, then continue to Ljubljana the next day.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/venice-and-trieste-to-ljubljana-by-train.htm

Day 2 

I see reservations available on the 2126 departure. In any case, reservation isn’t necessary.

Day 3/ 4

Again, reservations aren’t necessary for the Railjet, but I see availability on ÖBB

For the sleeper train, you have the same problem. There are construction works, so the train goes only as far as Padova

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Day 3/4: RE trains don't have reservations.

Userlevel 2

Did you select “Seat Only” when searching for connection ?

For Night trains and trains from/to/in Italy, you need to add interrail discount and click on “One-way tickets” NOT “Seat Only”

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Rome - Munich/Vienna night train will not run for 3 months this summer as the Rome - Florence classic line is closed for works. At first the night train was supposed to be rerouted via Ancona but due to a lack of (knowledgeable) drivers it simply cannot.

More here:

https://www.nightjet.com/de/reiseziele/italien/rom

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Rome.htm#Rome-Vienna (small notice here too)

You could take the Rome - Trieste night train and then another train (not good value to use a pass day) or a Flixbus to Ljubljana the following morning.

For example :

- ICN Roma Termini - Trieste Centrale 22:35 - 09:01

- EC Trieste Centrale - Ljubljana 12:52 - 15:37 or

- Flixbus 11:30 - 13:05

Actually I might do as ralderton suggested and spend the night in Trieste instead.

Day 1

It’s possible that there is construction work on your dates, so the trains have not been released for sale yet. Right now, you can take a train to Padova, then the Nightjet from Padova to Villach. In any case, this doesn’t look like a pleasant journey!

I might suggest Rome to Venice or Trieste in the evening, then continue to Ljubljana the next day.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/venice-and-trieste-to-ljubljana-by-train.htm

Day 2 

I see reservations available on the 2126 departure. In any case, reservation isn’t necessary.

Day 3/ 4

Again, reservations aren’t necessary for the Railjet, but I see availability on ÖBB

For the sleeper train, you have the same problem. There are construction works, so the train goes only as far as Padova

How do you see availability for the train from graz to vienna? When I look at the ÖBB webpage its says ticket not available.

I finally bought the night train ticket from Rome to Trieste (Trenitalia) and then from Trieste to Ljubljana (ÖBB)

I know some tickets don't need a reservation but we prefered to reservate just in case.

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Day 2 : they're not available yet, check back in a few weeks. That train will be empty anyway.

Slightly off-topic but : unless there's a specific reason to go to Graz it's an unecessary detour. Change in Leoben (5 min same-platform guaranteed connection) and you'll arrive in Vienna at 21:36 instead.

Few pros: earlier arrival, beautiful Semmering railway (UNESCO listed!) with daylight, time for dinner in Vienna. :)

Day 5 : there are engineering works on the high-speed line around Ferragosto (15th August). Timetables aren't definite yet, check back in a few weeks. That train won't sell out. Expect longer journey time if the train cannot take the Direttissima high-speed line.