Solved

SJ Private sleeper, different genders

• 25 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, ive just booked a private sleeper compartment for me (female) and my son, however I have realised that I have booked first class but have 2nd class pass!

the option of 2nd class private sleeper didn't have a discount for interrail so was more expensive - why is that?

the cheapest option has gendered carriages, so i assume if I booked for me and my son we would we end up in separate ones.

Annoying that its going to cost me so much more to go 2nd class than 1st!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 25 April 2024, 19:35

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can't travel in 1st class with a 2nd class pass. You need to apply for a refund and get a 2nd class compartment. 

You didn’t provide any details about date and trip (domestic or international), but in general it is like this:

With a 2nd class pass you are allowed to reserve just a single bed in a 3 person sleeper (2nd class). I assume you did get a 2nd class offer for a bed in a sleeping compartment (normally 750 SEK domestic).

And you did get a normal price for a 2nd class private compartment (which is not allowed with a railpass). That’s why you did get a normal price.

In 1st class, you are allowed to book a private compartment for 1 or two persons. But you need to hold a 1st class pass. So if you did book this with a 2nd class pass you are not allowed to travel. 

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

It's Stockholm to Berlin in July, the options were private cabin 1-2 beds in single sex compartment for 1660 sek, 2nd class private cabin 1 - 2 beds 4300 sek (approximately) but no interrail discount seems to be applied or 1st class for approx 3200 sek with interrail discount. 

I realise I'll have to get the refund and rebook a 2nd class but don't understand why 2nd class is more expensive? 

Userlevel 1

You didn’t provide any details about date and trip (domestic or international), but in general it is like this:

With a 2nd class pass you are allowed to reserve just a single bed in a 3 person sleeper (2nd class). I assume you did get a 2nd class offer for a bed in a sleeping compartment (normally 750 SEK domestic).

And you did get a normal price for a 2nd class private compartment (which is not allowed with a railpass). That’s why you did get a normal price.

In 1st class, you are allowed to book a private compartment for 1 or two persons. But you need to hold a 1st class pass. So if you did book this with a 2nd class pass you are not allowed to travel. 

Sorry Hektor, just read your response properly,I didn't realise you can't use the pass for 2nd class private compartment and my son is over 9 so we'll have to go the expensive way - very annoying! 

Sorry Hektor, just read your response properly,I didn't realise you can't use the pass for 2nd class private compartment and my son is over 9 so we'll have to go the expensive way - very annoying! 

One thing to consider: The international train from Berlin to Stockholm doesn’t have a 3 bed compartment in 2nd class - here it is just a 2 bed compartment. But according to the rules it’s not allowed to book different genders in one compartment.

You may book a couchette but then it’s not private any more. But the sleeper cabins are very small in this train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If there are 2 of you travelling with different gender, you just book either male or female sleeper compartment and then you make sure that you are put in the same compartment. I doubt that there will be a problem. 

Userlevel 1

If there are 2 of you travelling with different gender, you just book either male or female sleeper compartment and then you make sure that you are put in the same compartment. I doubt that there will be a problem. 

Thank you Anna, I messaged the SJ online chat this morning and they said that I could just book the gendered carriage so that is what I have done. My tickets show the same carriage but berths number 62 and 66, do you know if that means we are in the same compartment? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes indeed. You've got the 6th compartment and 62 is lower berth/66 upper berth (middle one would be 64). Enjoy now! :)