Solved

Sleeper train from Basel to Berlin

Badge

Hi, 

Trying to find out how to actually book a sleeper train from Basel to Berlin. Is it as simple as using the reservations app on this site (i don’t have access yet as have not bought ticket).

Amy 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 16 July 2023, 19:27

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can use interrail.eu but there's a 2€ booking fee per person per train as usual.

Best use nightjet.com or tickets.oebb.at (add Interrail as a discount).

Night trains are very popular so book well in advance

Badge

I’ve tried this and simply doesn’t show anything for me. I will be using the family pass with 2 kids. 1 free as under 3 and then a 6 year old. Do I click 1 pass? I would need a bed for the 6 yr old.. 

really hard to find the info out ..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What is your travel date please ? Otherwise we can't really help. Most of the summer is already sold out.

Badge

Ah okay !

August 4th onwards for travelling until september 2nd - flexible between that whole period!

I’ve managed to get somewhere with the site you sent me! Thanks, I’ll keep looking :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I can find some availability so hopefully you'll find something ! I'd book a sleeper compartment so you're all together and not sharing.

Badge

Ah okay ! So i just need to go through it bit by bit 

I have found another site 

https://www.europeansleeper.eu/en/booking/search?departureStation=8800104&arrivalStation=8010100&departureDate=2023-08-09&returnDate=2023-08-21&passengerTypes=44&passengerTypes=44&bicycleCount=0 which looks promising :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

European Sleeper runs the Brussels - Berlin route. Were you looking at this route ? If that's the case my bad.

Btw if you're taking the Eurostar please book it well in advance as it has a limited quota for passholders (30€ seat reservation). Check here : https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

As a good alternative there's the daytime or overnight ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland near Rotterdam.

Badge

Thank you !

Badge

Yes, the basel to Berlin was meant to say brussels ! Gosh auto correct!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Then you have found the one and only correct link ! :)

Badge

Sorry - one more question, so check on the  eurostar !

I will have the family pass so do I click 1 interrail pass for me (the adult) and then 6 year old, with the 2 year just sitting with me ?

Finally, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you only need to buy 2 seat reservations : 2 x 30€. The 2 year old can sit on your lap, reservation not needed AFAIK.

Badge

Ah okay, It says it’s 128 euros in August still loads cheaper than flight, which is coming out at £1200 return!

what is AFAIK ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah okay, It says it’s 128 euros in August still loads cheaper than flight, which is coming out at £1200 return!

I hope €128 is for the night train and not for Eurostar since that would be too much.

what is AFAIK ?

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/afaik

Badge

Badge

they all say 60 euros for every single reservation 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Right, that's a return Eurostar reservation for 2 persons. With booking fee, that should be €124.

Badge

I put 2 interral passes for myself and the 6 year old :)

Badge

Do you know what I do about using the pass on my outwood bound journey. I know I can use this on many connections but there is no option to put this into an online ticket.

Wakefield to London and then London to brussells. Do I just show the conductor the interrail ticket ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do you know what I do about using the pass on my outwood bound journey. I know I can use this on many connections but there is no option to put this into an online ticket.

Wakefield to London and then London to brussells. Do I just show the conductor the interrail ticket ? 

You can travel in your country of residence on 2 of your travel days. So if you do Wakefield-London-Brussels on 1 day (and similar for the return), then that's possible.

Your pass is your ticket and as such is enough to travel. You can book a reservation for Wakefield to London if you want; it is optional. It is also free of charge, at any ticket office in GB or online via GWR:

Badge

Thanks! I was looking and could not find how you do that!

I will just hop on board the train :)