Solved

Supplement payable on the Verona to Brenner line

• 21 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We plan to travel between Verona and Innsbruck on successive days. Verona-Trento-Bressanone-Brenner-Innsbruck.

I understand that for the Frecciarossa trains we would need to pay for a seat reservation so we would not get those trains. On some of the other trains there is (differently phrased depending on whether I look at Train Europe or the RailPlanner or Trenitalia) some trains that  say that a supplement is required and a few where no supplement is required. 
many questions are what is correct for non-reservation trains? For an hour or so we would not get the trains that require a reservation. Do we need to pay a supplement (I think we pay this at the station?) for each time we use one of those trains even though we are not crossing into Austria until the final day? 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 21 February 2024, 13:37

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You need to pay for Frecciarossa and for the EuroCity trains operated by DB-ÖBB something extra. For the DB-ÖBB EC it is a supplement, which could also be paid on the train (at least previously was like that), but you get a free reservation included if you book it ahead through Deutsche Bahn. 
Also the trains on this route are often very crowded, so if you aren’t traveling alone, then a reservation will so or so pay off. 
If you don’t want to pay for a reservation, then take a regional train from Trenitalia, with that you can get until Brenner and change there for an Eurocity (from here no supplement needed) or a S-Bahn to Innsbruck.