Solved

Taking earlier train than the one I reserved seats.

• 9 April 2024
  • 6 replies

We arrive by plane at Zurich airport @ 16:35 . I estimated the time to make a reservation to Chur, I chose 17:28 to Zurich HB then 18:38 to Chur. My question is if we arrive earlier can we just take the earlier trains ? Will my e-ticket still be valid ?

icon

Best answer by ralderton 9 April 2024, 20:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Trains in Switzerland don’t need reservations, so you can take any train.

You can add several options to My Trip, then just select which one you actually take.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Much appreciated. I’m starting to understand how it all works.

There’s a good primer on the Seat61 website. It’s effectively the instruction manual Eurail should have written!

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm

Thanks. My first time with Mobile Eurail - still on learning curve. 

So I can list multiple trains and I assume I have to select the one train before boarding ? My seat reservation with Swiss I think is non refundable but could I use it on another tarin or would I just forfeit the cost ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, select the train you’re actually taking, just before you board, by sliding the toggle switch. You don’t need a data connection for that.

(Actually, you can make changes even after boarding, if necessary. But it’s good to do it before, just in case a conductor wants to see it.)

I doubt the seat reservation can be refunded. They’re really not necessary in Switzerland.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here’s an example from mine - you can see I had two trains lined-up, just in case I didn't make the 20-minute connection at Brussels. In the end, I made it onto the 1825 easily, so I selected that one.

Much appreciated. I’m starting to understand how it all works.