Solved

Train Barcelona to Paris

• 17 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi community! I hope you´re doing fine:)

I´m Daniela and I´ve been planning to start my 1st interrail in Oct 6. I bought the 7 days pass within 1 month.

I live in Portugal but I´ll fly to Barcelona to start my adventure.

The route I was planning: Barcelona-Paris-Brusells-Rotterdam-Amsterdam-Cologne.

Unfortunately I´m having a hard time trying to understand what´s the cheaper way to go from Barcelona to Paris, since the seat reservations are a bit expensive (in my honest opinion) and it´s not possible to book from interrail website (only physically in a Spanish station, right?)

I already read some posts and blogs but the alternatives are also are a bit pricey.

I was wondering if you could advise me or help me find the best option, because I´m trying to spare some money when I can to keep my trip affordable.

Thanks in advance!!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 September 2023, 14:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Barcelona - Paris TGVs indeed cost 35€... this train can be bought on interrail.eu. Good alternatives include :

- AVI Barcelona - Lyon 08:22 - 13:20 10€ (only available at RENFE ticket counters) + TGV to Lyon 14:04 - 16:08 or later (10€ limited fare always available, then 20€)

- R to Cerbère + TER to Perpignan/Montpellier and then TGV to Paris (10-20€)

Paris - Brussels is also very expensive (27€) + Thalys/Eurostar Red trains have a passholder quota... as alternatives :

- TGV to Lille-Flandres (10€ limited fare, then 20€) + IC via Tournai

- TER via Maubeuge (fully reservation-free)

Brussels - Rotterdam can be done by hourly IC. Seat reservations do not exist in Belgium and the Netherlands. Amsterdam - Cologne : reservations recommended, this train is overcrowded all year round -> 3€ ÖBB, 4.90€ DB with seating map.

More info :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Barcelona - Paris TGVs indeed cost 35€... this train can be bought on interrail.eu. Good alternatives include :

- AVI Barcelona - Lyon 08:22 - 13:20 10€ (only available at RENFE ticket counters) + TGV to Lyon 14:04 - 16:08 or later (10€ limited fare always available, then 20€)

- R to Cerbère + TER to Perpignan/Montpellier and then TGV to Paris (10-20€)

Paris - Brussels is also very expensive (27€) + Thalys/Eurostar Red trains have a passholder quota... as alternatives :

- TGV to Lille-Flandres (10€ limited fare, then 20€) + IC via Tournai

- TER via Maubeuge (fully reservation-free)

Brussels - Rotterdam can be done by hourly IC. Seat reservations do not exist in Belgium and the Netherlands. Amsterdam - Cologne : reservations recommended, this train is overcrowded all year round -> 3€ ÖBB, 4.90€ DB with seating map.

More info :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Thank you a lot for your time! This is really helpful!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As well as via Cerbere, you have the option of via Latour de Carol, then TER to Toulouse. Both options explained on the Seat61 page linked above.

Those routes have their charms, but they’ll take longer, and each is going to cost you €10 anyway, maybe €20 or €30.

So if you want to go quickly from Barcelona direct to Paris, it can be worth spending the extra on the TGV. If you don’t mind a slower journey to save €20, then take the other routes - and stop off en-route.

As well as via Cerbere, you have the option of via Latour de Carol, then TER to Toulouse. Both options explained on the Seat61 page linked above.

Those routes have their charms, but they’ll take longer, and each is going to cost you €10 anyway, maybe €20 or €30.

So if you want to go quickly from Barcelona direct to Paris, it can be worth spending the extra on the TGV. If you don’t mind a slower journey to save €20, then take the other routes - and stop off en-route.

Thank you, I really appreciate you help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Honestly, if you are going to fly anyway then just fly from Portugal to Paris.

The journey by high speed train Barcelona - Paris isn’t particularly scenic so you aren’t missing much.

The slower routes via Cerbere and particularly LaTour De Carol are very scenic if you have the time.

Honestly, if you are going to fly anyway then just fly from Portugal to Paris.

The journey by high speed train Barcelona - Paris isn’t particularly scenic so you aren’t missing much.

The slower routes via Cerbere and particularly LaTour De Carol are very scenic if you have the time.

I only chose to begin in Barcelona because I´m already going to spend a couple days with friends there otherwise it certainly would have been a better option. Thank you for your opinion!!