Skip to main content

Hi. I would like to book an overnight train from Mannheim to Prague, at 23:42 on 20 August. The Deutsche Bahn website has two train references for the same time: EN40459 and EC459 (see screenshot below). The EN train has couchettes and the EC train has seats only. The times are the same and, I guess, are actually the same train but with different sections for couchettes/seats. The Eurail booking/reservation system shows only the EN train, and requires reservations, but there are no spaces available for that either through the Eurail website or through the Deutsche Bahn website. Spaces on the EC train are available, and I would like to reserve that, but that train does not appear in the Eurail booking system so I cannot add it to my pass. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas how I can add the EC459 train to my Eurail pass, or otherwise how I might make this work? 

Thanks,

BK 

Hi,

you can add this train manually to the app. Or add only the EN to the pass.

Keep in mind that for the seat car reservation is optional but highly reccomended (go to cd.cz) and for the couchette or sleeping cars it is compulsory.

The train is split into 2 parts in Leipzig so actually has 4 numbers until there.

There is only one through seating carriage to Prague so it can get pretty busy. But you could also sit in the numerous Berlin-bound carriages and move in Leipzig (1h stop) to the freshly added extra Prague carriages (3 or 4, I can't remember but cd.cz has a nice seating map).

However if you want to truly sleep, I'd recommend booking a sleeper. 69€ is not that expensive, at least compared to a night accommodation while travelling.

If you're coming from Paris, you could leave earlier and board the night train in Offenburg (at 22:31) giving you a longer night of sleep.

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 17:55 - 19:41 10-20€ seat reservation

- RB Strasbourg - Offenburg 20:20 - 20:52

- EN Offenburg - Prague 22:31 - 09:38

To book a sleeper : cd.cz or nightjet.com. It is extremely popular (and has limited capacity) so do not wait to book.

To book a seat : cd.cz

Many thanks @Angelo and @thibcabe - that’s all very helpful.

The sleeper is my preference, but it seems it’s not possible right now to reserve that through the Eurail app. The train is listed, but reservations are not available through there or Deutsche Bahn (I had assumed that’s because it’s all booked up). Same issue with the Offenburg option. But I have followed thibcabe’s suggestion to try nightjet.com and that looks possible. If that doesn’t work then I will manually add the non-sleeper details to the Eurail app (as Angelo suggests) and take a seat.

Thanks again.

The sleeper is my preference, but it seems it’s not possible right now to reserve that through the Eurail app. The train is listed, but reservations are not available through there or Deutsche Bahn (I had assumed that’s because it’s all booked up).

The app can't book any reservations. It only forwards to some of the websites where you can book.

DB can't book pass reservations for couchettes or sleepers online.

But I have followed thibcabe’s suggestion to try nightjet.com and that looks possible.

That's a good place to book.

Many thanks @rvdborgt. I have now booked through the nightjet.com website. Thanks to all for the guidance.