Skip to main content
Solved

Travelling in my own country - over two days

• 24 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi All - I have a niche question relating to travelling in my own country. We are based in Scotland and I know that for us the UK counts as home country or departure country, I also know that you use one of your travel days to leave but it may take me two so I want to check if the following is valid on a four travel day interrail pass…

Travel Day 1- UK to UK  - Caledonian Sleeper from Glasgow to London - arriving 0715 on Travel Day 2

Travel Day 2 - UK to Netherlands - Leg 1 - Eurostar London to Amsterdam/ Leg 2 Amsterdam to Deventer

Travel Day 3 Return from Deventer to London

Travel Day 3 (night train) - London to Glasgow

Travel Day 4 used to cover rest of London to Glasgow Trip

My concern is that I am on Travel Day 2 before I leave UK - however it is one journey in three stages with only a couple of hours wait in London

Do you think it would be valid?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The way out of the UK won't work. The departure day is what counts as a travel day. Max 2 of your travel days can be used in the residence country.

2 solutions:

- travel during the day and board the Eurostar straight away

- buy a ticket to Carstairs and board the Caledonian Sleeper there (departure is usually after midnight GMT time)

There's a third cheeky one (but allowed!). Add the journey manually with departure time in Central European Time -> 1h ahead of Glasgow. That way the departure is after midnight, on the same day as the Eurostar to Amsterdam.

Someone might be able to give more details or you can look at older threads.

The way back is fine as you hop on the Caledonian Sleeper on the same day. Don't forget to book your Eurostar reservations well in advance (passholder quota...).

The way out of the UK won't work. The departure day is what counts as a travel day. Max 2 of your travel days can be used in the residence country.

2 solutions:

- travel during the day and board the Eurostar straight away

- buy a ticket to Carstairs and board the Caledonian Sleeper there (departure is usually after midnight GMT time)

There's a third cheeky one (but allowed!). Add the journey manually with departure time in Central European Time -> 1h ahead of Glasgow. That way the departure is after midnight, on the same day as the Eurostar to Amsterdam.

Someone might be able to give more details or you can look at older threads.

The way back is fine as you hop on the Caledonian Sleeper on the same day. Don't forget to book your Eurostar reservations well in advance (passholder quota...).

Thanks for this - very helpful.

The CET option is the most appealing :-)