Skip to main content
Solved

two TGV reservation on the same route on the sams day as a precaution?

• 21 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi. I need your advice. My partner and I are travelling from Germany to France in August. Unfortunately, the German train is often late. That's why I'm worried that we won't be able to change trains from Paris Est to Montparnasse in Paris within an hour. I've reserved seats on the TGV to the South of France for 2 p.m. Now I'm also thinking about reserving the TGV at 4 p.m. in case we can't make the change. Is that possible? I could release the seats at 2 p.m. if we got the train. What do you think? Kind regards, Eva

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can do that. German trains are indeed often late but not so much the ones to Paris (since they start close to the border).

I'd be more worried with the Olympic disruptions...

Sorry to bother you, I just have the excact same issue and I was wondering if you already did your trip and how it worked out for to switch stations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From which station to which station?

I'm always planning 2 hours* as you never know what could happen. Gives you enough time for groceries, a quick coffee.

*except Gare de l'Est <-> Gare du Nord where 1h is more than enough

From which station to which station?

I'm always planning 2 hours* as you never know what could happen. Gives you enough time for groceries, a quick coffee.

*except Gare de l'Est <-> Gare du Nord where 1h is more than enough

not sure if that was directed towards me or OP, but for me it would be the excat same situation: 1 hour from l’Est to Montparnasse (also arriving with a German train) and I was also thinking about booking a second reservation.

(Sorry for hijacking OP’s question, I was just thinking, that maybe when they already made the trip they could give me some feedback)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It was directed to you @Melan :)

1h is very tight. I wouldn't try it. Even if you arrive on time it takes 10 min to leave the station, 5-10 min to board the RER/subway, 15 min journey and that's if all goes well…

I'm sure there are earlier or later TGVs giving you a little break.