Solved

Urgent Help: Have Eurail Global Pass and need to grt from Rome to Tirano

• 5 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 13 replies

Have a booking for Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur departing at 2:24pm and struggling to find seat reservations on Eurail that would get me to Tirano (from Rome) on time and don’t cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 February 2024, 21:26

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Plenty of seats available!

- FR Roma Termini - Milano Centrale 06:25 - 09:24 or 06:50 - 10:00 13€

- RE Milano Centrale - Tirano 10:20 - 12:52 -> reservation-free

I'd take the first Frecciarossa to have some margin. 13€ through Rail Europe (desktop version) or ÖBB -> https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Hope that helps! Enjoy the stunning journey tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The 10.20 Milano Termini - Tirano 12.52 is the only train you can take, this is a Regional train that requires no reservation.

You need to get from Rome to Milan for this which means the 05.38, 06.25 or 06.50 departures from Rome Termini. the 06.50 is a very tight connection in Milan so I would advise against that.

Those are the weekday times, all Rome - Milan require reservation which can be got at www.raileurope.com only on the desktop site.

Badge

I’m getting above/attached for Milan to Tirano and for Roma Termini to Milano Centrale, I’m getting, ‘Rail Pass doesn’t apply for this trip’.

Milano to Tirano doesn’t need a reservation, so just don’t include this.

Roma Termini to Milano Centrale has availability (5.38; 6.00; 6.25 just 2nd class; 6.50 just 2nd class but that’s a tight connection).

Badge

Thank you very much for being helpful.

I have booked Rome to Milano.

So what happens when I get to Milano to Tirano? Which class do I sit? Also what happens if the trai n is full or cancelled?

What backup can I organise for this one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are no reservations on regional trains, whether you've got a pass or a ticket. This is the case on most European trains.

You are always allowed to board. Hop on and sit wherever you want. The front end will have more seats. There is no 1st class area on almost all Italian regional trains and if there were one it'd be clearly indicated.

This system works well so don't worry. On a busy day you might have to stand a bit if you board at a later stop for example but impossible on a February weekday and you're boarding at the first stop anyway.

In the event of the train being cancelled (again very unlikely) simply take the next one. There are hourly reservation-free regional trains from Tirano towards Chur too -> straightforward connections in Pontresina and Samedan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

There are no reservations on regional trains, whether you've got a pass or a ticket. This is the case on most European trains.

You are always allowed to board. Hop on and sit wherever you want. The front end will have more seats. There is no 1st class area on almost all Italian regional trains and if there were one it'd be clearly indicated.

This system works well so don't worry. On a busy day you might have to stand a bit if you board at a later stop for example but impossible on a February weekday and you're boarding at the first stop anyway.

In the event of the train being cancelled (again very unlikely) simply take the next one. There are hourly reservation-free regional trains from Tirano towards Chur too -> straightforward connections in Pontresina and Samedan.

Trenord regional trains has always 1st class, but they have the same seats like 2nd class.

Trenitalia regional trains mostly don't have 1st class.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Trenord regional trains has always 1st class, but they have the same seats like 2nd class.

I think the REs between Chiasso and Milan have real 1st class :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think the REs between Chiasso and Milan have real 1st class :)

Swiss train sets makes this possible :)

Badge

Thank you all.

Had a great journey and trains all booked!!

Appreciate your assistance!!