Solved

Using the pass for the first time

• 3 May 2024
  • 1 reply

I bought a mobile Eurail Pass "7 days in 1 month 2nd class" for the first time. I’ll be in Europe from May 6th to May 22nd and I’ll take trains in 7 days within that period:
a. With mandatory reservation, for example Eurostar (I already bought the tickets paying a discount).
b. No mandatory reservation (I still bought the tickets to reserve a seat).
c. Without the possibility of reserving a seat (I’ll show up at the station and take the train by showing the pass).
My questions:
1) I arrive in Madrid on May 6th, and I'll take the first train in London on May 13th. Can I activate the pass in Madrid?
2) Every time I take a train, do I have to show the pass on my cell phone (plus the corresponding ticket in cases a and b)?
3) I bought some tickets through Eurail.com and they appear in the application's "Reservations Overview". I bought other tickets through RailEurope or from the railway companies' websites (always indicating the pass number) so those are not listed in Eurail  app. Do I have to upload all the tickets to the Eurail app, or to take a train I just show the pass in the app and the printed ticket?
4) When taking a train on a new day, will the application automatically show the days consumed, of the 7 days that the pass includes?
Thank you!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 3 May 2024, 11:07

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

On trains without reservations simply hop on, sit wherever you want and show the ticket onboard whenever asked. Sometimes there are barriers but that depends on the country/station.

1. There’s no need to activate the pass in advance. You could do it in Madrid if you plan on taking a train there but otherwise I would wait.
  2. Yes, whenever asked. Staff can also ask for ID to see if names and date of birth match.
  3. Onboard you show both the Rail Planner app (your pass) with the correct journey logged + the reservation PDF/printed version.
  4. Yes there is an overview.