Solved

1st class seat reservations with 2nd class global pass shows as allowed and cheaper

• 1 June 2023
  • 8 replies

• Right on track
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have seen variations of this question but none quite answer my specific concern.

So, perhaps someone can offer some insight.  We have 4 Eurail 2nd class passes and we’re trying to reserve Nice-Marseille on the https://travel.b-europe.com site.  This site is provided on the eurail site as one of the alternate options when booking seat reservations.  The site asks for our eurail ticket class and I promptly provide the correct info, 2nd class passes.  The site then shows us two options for tickets, 2nd class tickets and 1st class tickets.  The first class tickets are actually cheaper (68 Euro v 80 Euro) and if I continue, it will still acknowledge that we have indeed 2nd class passes and have 1st class tickets in our cart.  It even details the discount applied.  

So my question is can I buy and use these first class tickets?

I read so many answers detailing that since first is more expensive you’ll wind up paying the difference but in this instance 1st class is actually cheaper and I am just wondering if I am actually allowed to purchase and ride first class on a second class pass 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 2 June 2023, 00:14

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, yes for train INSIDE France this is possible. If second class is full so they want to move people in first class to not make full second.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Btw you can do this route by taking reservation-free TER regional trains as well. They do not take longer at all as there's no high-speed railway between Nice and Marseille. It'd save you money but you can of course take a TGV if you prefer

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, yes for train INSIDE France this is possible. If second class is full so they want to move people in first class to not make full second.

There is something definitely not right about the passholder reservations from b-europe.

Select having a 2nd class pass and you get offered 2nd class for €20 and 1st class for €17

Select having a 1st class pass and you get offered 2nd class for €20 and 1st class for €20

Btw you can do this route by taking reservation-free TER regional trains as well. They do not take longer at all as there's no high-speed railway between Nice and Marseille. It'd save you money but you can of course take a TGV if you prefer

Yes, I saw those options, thanks 

but we’re traveling with kids in the summer and I figured it wasn’t worth the risk.

There is something definitely not right about the passholder reservations from b-europe.

Select having a 2nd class pass and you get offered 2nd class for €20 and 1st class for €17

Select having a 1st class pass and you get offered 2nd class for €20 and 1st class for €20

YES! Exactly 

It’s very strange indeed! But I did trust Angelo’s comment and bought them, I figured worse case scenario I’d pay an extra €12 per ticket and get moved to 2nd class seats BUT I after receiving the tickets via email I can confirm that this strange price situation is legit.  I’m copy and pasting the exact wording on my tickets for your benefit 

Pass Eurail Upgrade (AE) - 1st class:

Passholder fare only valid if used in conjunction with a 2nd class Eurail Pass covering France and who wants to travel in 1st class. The journey travel date must be within the validity period of the pass. Fare with limited availability.

YES! Exactly 

It’s very strange indeed! But I did trust Angelo’s comment and bought them, I figured worse case scenario I’d pay an extra €12 per ticket and get moved to 2nd class seats BUT I after receiving the tickets via email I can confirm that this strange price situation is legit.  I’m copy and pasting the exact wording on my tickets for your benefit 

Pass Eurail Upgrade (AE) - 1st class:

Passholder fare only valid if used in conjunction with a 2nd class Eurail Pass covering France and who wants to travel in 1st class. The journey travel date must be within the validity period of the pass. Fare with limited availability.

I meant € 3 per ticket (I bought 4 for €12 total difference) 

I want to join a group can you help me
Is there a Turkish citizen