Solved

2 trips from my home country / 4 travel days...possible?

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Excuse my complete confusion.

Q1. - If I have a Global pass and want to travel across borders, as long as my pass is valid in both countries there is no fee/supplement on any train - correct or not?
Q2 - If my Global (or single country pass) is not valid in one of the countries I have to pay a supplement to travel from the last station in Country A to the first station in country B. - correct or not? Why can’t I simply pay for a standard ticket from last station in A to first station in B?

Q3 - If I buy a normal ticket from any station in Country A to a station in country B (e,g, Mannheim to Strasbourg) Do I still pay the supplement?
Q4 - Is this only the case in Germany?

Q5 - I noticed in one post it was only for trains with compulsory reservations, but there are very few of those in Germany. Also a reference to the Brenner pass supplement. but that train does not have mandatory reservations - so what is going on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

hier die Fragen, weil ich jetzt weiß, dass ich für 2 Fahrten aus Deutschland nicht 4 Hin- und Rückfahrten nutzen kann (da ja max. 2x bei 4 Fahrten im Pass). für die 2. Fahrt nach Bordeaux müsste ich ein weiteres DB-Ticket kaufen.
Fragen:
Ich muss also ein DB-Ticket von Berlin (oder HH) bis zur ersten Stadt in Frankreich (hinter der Grenze) kaufen, richtig? oder bis zur Stadt auf der deutschen Seite vor der Grenze?
z.B..
TGV Mannheim → Paris EST
Mannheim
Kaiserslautern
Saarbrücken
Forbach (FR
Paris - EST

also kaufe ich eine fahrkarte bis Forbach mit der DB? oder bis saarbrücken? wenn ich das bei der DB überprüfe, kostet die fahrkarte bis saarbrücken 65€, aber bis forbach 164€. das macht keinen sinn, denn die letzte fahrt wäre ein RE, aber ich möchte den TGV ab Mannheim benutzen. was soll ich also tun?

ich freue mich auf ihre meldung und danke ihnen

Die Frage ist mit welchem TGV sie ab Mannheim nach Paris fahren wollen? Es gibt TGV´s die fahren über Saarbrücken & Forbach wiederum andere fahren ab Mannheim über Karlsruhe/Strassbourg :) 

Um geld zu Sparen bevorzuge ich generell die TGV´s erst ab der 1.franzöischen Station zunutzen
Denn man kann die franz. Inlandsreservierungen Online buchen.
Jene sind günstiger 10€ (begrenzte Verfügbarkeit) oder 20€ bis der Zug ausverkauft ist. 
Einige Internationale TGV Reservierungen sind nur begrenzt für Interrailpassnutzer verfügbar z.B. Paris - Mailand oder Paris - Barcelona 

Ich kenne ihre Reisedaten nicht aber seit Dezember gibt 1x wöchentlich einen direkten TGV aus Freiburg über Strassbourg (hier würde ich einsteigen) nach Bordeaux (um den Umstieg in Paris zu ersparen.) 

Sie werden theorhetisch eine Fahrkarte bis zum “virtuellen” Grenztarifpunkt brauchen aber die DB stellt keine Fahrkarten mehr zu jenen Punkten aus deshalb ist es oftmals der 1.Halt hinter der Grenze. 
hier stellt sich jetzt die Frage mit welchem Zug sie ab Mannheim fahren wollen? (Tag,Uhrzeit oder die Zugnummer) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You cannot buy a ticket to a physical border point,

Yes you can. That has always been possible and remains possible, as long as the physical border point is also a tariff border point. It's just that DB have now implemented this a bit differently with their "Passzuschlag”.

For people that have a ticket in Germany but not in France. They pay from the last station in Germany (it is strange but DB has to make money, only the case on this route using ICE/TGV, with local trains from the border fare point). 

That's "Passzuschlag 3" (for ICE / TGV). No need to buy a ticket from the last station. 

I am sorry but the translation of your post has me totally confused?

Surely the situation is simply that the original poster finds the least cost way to get over the border to the first station classed as “France”. In some stations they actually have 2 identifiers in the planner e.g. Basle, where you can select Basle (Swiss) or Basle (Ger).

You cannot buy a ticket to a physical border point, so are you suggesting they buy a ticket  to the last station in Germany and then travel to the first station in France where they activate their pass?

Although not a German speaker, the translation of the “pass zuschlag” is also confusing - can anybody explain if this is something non German travellers should be aware of? It translates as a surcharge for anybody crossing a border from Germany using an Interrail pass. The only surcharge I am aware of is the Brenner pass supplement when you use an ECB in Italy.

Or is it simply if you have a DBahn pass that allows free travel in Germany you can pay a supplement to cross the border?

Or something completely different?

In Germany, there are different types of rail pass supplements when using a cross-border service. "Passzuschlag" and the relevant number is what you need to ask for when buying it at a station. It's simply the official name.

"Passzuschlag 2" means that you do have a valid rail pass for (here) France but not for Germany. You can't buy a ticket to the border point, so you need to buy this Passzuschlag. 

"Passzuschlag 1" means that you hold a valid rail pass for the whole journey. You know this type from the Brenner supplement. In ÖBB speech it's called "Aufpreis Brennerverkehr". The same exists also for other IC / EC cross border services from Austria into Italy (e.g. Wien to Trieste) or Slovakia (e.g. Wien to Bratislava) or Railjet services via Tarvisio.  

Yes, there's also a Passzuschlag if you are holding a rail pass (just) for Germany. That's the third one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

To get from Germany to France without using the Inbound/Outbound you need a ticket till the "Grenztarifpunkt" would be the Border Fare Station (virtual) in this case Forbach (fr). 

To France there is no border stations that are for train fares in Germany and France but only this virtual points where DB and SNCF change their fares. 

Pass Zuschlag is in German Pass surcharge (wich is in this case and of all trains in western europe with compulsory reservation, because the price is way more than the cost of a reservation)

There is Passzuschlag 1 - the normal Interrail reservation fare.

Passzuschlag 2 - the ticket fare where you pay for the German Part, because you have a ticket for France + Reservation cost)

For people that have a ticket in Germany but not in France. They pay from the last station in Germany (it is strange but DB has to make money, only the case on this route using ICE/TGV, with local trains from the border fare point). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am sorry but the translation of your post has me totally confused?

Surely the situation is simply that the original poster finds the least cost way to get over the border to the first station classed as “France”. In some stations they actually have 2 identifiers in the planner e.g. Basle, where you can select Basle (Swiss) or Basle (Ger).

You cannot buy a ticket to a physical border point, so are you suggesting they buy a ticket  to the last station in Germany and then travel to the first station in France where they activate their pass?

Although not a German speaker, the translation of the “pass zuschlag” is also confusing - can anybody explain if this is something non German travellers should be aware of? It translates as a surcharge for anybody crossing a border from Germany using an Interrail pass. The only surcharge I am aware of is the Brenner pass supplement when you use an ECB in Italy.

Or is it simply if you have a DBahn pass that allows free travel in Germany you can pay a supplement to cross the border?

Or something completely different?

Es gibt für die Frankreichverbindungen den Tarif "Passzuschlag 2", den man erhält, wenn man eine Netzkarte hat, die nur in Frankreich gilt. Der deckt den deutschen Streckenanteil ab.

Den auch schon nicht ganz günstigen Tarif "Passzuschlag 1" braucht man für die grenzüberschreitenden ICE / TGV eh, auch wenn man die Fahrttage im Heimatland nutzt. Mit "Passzuschlag 2" braucht man den aber nicht mehr.

Da hilft aber nur der Gang ins Reisebüro am Bahnhof. Ich würde dort mal den Preis für den Passzuschlag 2 für das konkrete Datum abchecken lassen. 

Wirklich was sparen wird man (auf der Strecke) aber wohl nur durch einen günstigen Tarif nach Saarbrücken und dann mit dem Bummelzug über die Grenze nach Forbach oder Metz. Hält natürlich zeitlich auf. 

Die offizielle Grenze auf der Strecke ist tariflich übrigens tatsächlich auf freier Strecke und nicht im Bahnhof. Grenztarifpunkt ist Forbach (fr). Das ist in dem Fall aber völlig theoretisch. Eine Fahrkarte nach Forbach (also dem ersten Bahnhof hinter der Grenze) zu kaufen ist unnötig und wäre sowieso zu teuer (im ICE / TGV).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You should buy a ticket to the border station.

If you look up the train you will travel with across the border on DB you can see all stations and there you can see which the border station is.

Otherwise I'm sure that @rvdborgt or @seewulf will let you know which the border station is.

Hi Anna,

ok. So i need to buy a DB ticket from Berlin (or HH) to the first city in France (behind the boarder), right? or to the city on the german side before the boarder? 

e.g.

TGV Mannheim → Paris EST

Mannheim

Kaiserslautern

Saarbrucken

Forbach (FR

Paris - EST

So i buy a ticket until Forbach with the DB?

looking forward to hearing from you and thank you for your fast answer

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The outbound/inbound rule says that you can travel on a maximum of two travel days in your country of residence so you need to buy tickets for 2 of your travels within Germany.