Solved

3 trips in 1 month, returning home in between

• 5 March 2024
  • 8 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone. Next month I am planning on travelling during weekends, and I was thinking of buying a 7 days interrail pass instead of buying single train tickets. 

My idea is to travel to Italy, then go back home. The following weekend traveling to the Netherlands, then be back again, and the weekend after again traveling to Berlin and back. 

Can I do that? Or does it need to be a continuous trip?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 March 2024, 11:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The only limitation is that you can (generally) travel on max 2 of the pass days in your home country. There is currently a trial and Swiss residents get 3 inbound/outbound days. These days can happen at any point so use them when the journey to the border is the most expensive.

If you wish to travel on more days, get a ticket until the border point : half-fare, full-fare, GA, etc. 

From Basel Bad Bf, Chiasso, Domodossola, etc. you can use the pass :)

Thank you for your answer! So if I use the pass from Chiasso and not from Como (after crossing the border) I don’t loose any of the inbound/outbound days?

Because when I plan my trip the system detects that CH is one of the countries I am traveling to 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for your answer! So if I use the pass from Chiasso and not from Como (after crossing the border) I don’t loose any of the inbound/outbound days?

It shouldn't, but you never know. I can't test but maybe @thibcabe can?

In any case, the app will warn you in advance when it thinks an inbound/outbound day is needed. If it says it does, then you can always add a journey manually and place Chiasso in Italy to prevent using an inbound/outbound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Indeed it doesn't use an inbound/outbound travel day.

You'll get a big pop-up message if the journey requires using one of those days, don't worry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed it doesn't use an inbound/outbound travel day.

Does it also work correctly for Lyon-Genève? I just read a comment in the Facebook group that the app wouldn't allow a journey from France to Geneva on a one country pass for France, so it had to be added manually. So I'm wondering whether the app would also want to use an inbound/outbound day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it works : used this train in December and January and tried again just now.

All these* works without using an inbound/outbound, same for Basel Bad Bf.

I can't test with France one-country passes though.

EDIT : it works in the other direction too.

*it's not the entire list

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Geneva-Annemasse is interesting, since AFAIK you'd need a Swiss ticket between Geneva (Cornavin) and Genève-Eaux-Vives, the 2 border tariff points...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes indeed as historically Annemasse trains terminated at the old Eaux-Vives station.

In practice the border point (for usual tickets at least) has been moved to Annemasse with the CEVA/Léman Express opening.

It works like this for GA, Saver Day Passes, tickets, etc. so I'd assume the same for Interrail/Eurail.

EDIT : the map linked here even marks Chêne-Bourg as the last valid stop... https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/europe/interrail/interrail-global-pass.html