Solved

5 day trip from UK to Turin trying to avoid flying

• 10 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone!

We are planning a short and simple trip to Turin and keen to avoid flying.

So the plan is to travel from Greater London to Turin via Eurostar. One day to travel out via Paris and one day to travel back via Paris. So, two travel days in total and 3 days in Turin.

I’ve had a look at the excellent Seat 61 website, but as a newcomer to Eurail/Interrail, I’m struggling to understand how best to do this. In particular:

What pass to buy?

How best to verify availability slots for Eurostar?

If someone out there can give me some help on how best to do this it would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

J.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 August 2023, 14:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can check Eurostar availability here : https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Tip : if London - Paris is full, check London - Lille.

The TGV from Paris to Turin is also very popular (30€ seat reservation) but you could avoid it by going via Switzerland (a few hours longer though).

A 4-day Global Pass + seat reservations would be enough but maybe regular tickets would be cheaper if you can buy well in advance. When would you like to travel ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

But if you take the long way round, via Brussels, Cologne (Germany), Switzerland,…

You can cut reservation cost to a minimum, by only needing the 30 EUR reservation cost for the Eurostars. But it takes a bit longer of course

Hi. Thanks so much, very helpful.

Planning to travel in around 4 weeks time, so not massively in advance, hence my comment about checking availability.