50th anniversary pass extension news

• 25 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have just seen this on the facebook group for Interrail for the older crowd. I have no other info but ….

I got this email over the weekend....think it may be of interest to you guys!

Dear Traveller,

We get it.

You saw the 50 years of Interrail Promo last May and couldn’t resist the whopping 50% discount (who could blame you?).

However, we can see in our system that your Pass has expired. And to reward you for taking swift action and to ensure you can still experience the freedom and flexibility of Interrailing, we have extended your Pass for a bit longer (free of charge).

Free extension: You have until 10 July to activate your Pass. And you can use it until the last travel day based on the type of Pass you bought.

Let us explain: If you activate your Pass on 10 July, the last day you can travel with it is as follows:

1-month Pass: 10 August

2-month Pass: 10 September

3-month Pass: 10 October

Need inspiration? Why not check out our suggested itineraries like Epic Summer in Europe or Last-minute trips - no reservations

Good to know: European train travel is more popular than ever and trains can get a little crowded (especially in the summer months). And some even require an additional seat reservation (which can sell like hotcakes - especially for high-speed trains like Eurostar, Thalys, and ICE). Therefore, book your seat reservations soon or go to lesser-known destinations with your Interrail Pass.

Want to know how to get started? Visit this page for everything you need to know about how to activate and use your Pass.

There’s a world to discover. And you’re all set to explore it by train with Interrail (so, what are you waiting for?).

Kind regards,

The Eurail/Interrail Team

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is simply unfair on those who followed the rules and activated their pass within the given time period.

I am sure many of those would also rather have used it for summer 2023 as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is simply unfair on those who followed the rules and activated their pass within the given time period.

I am sure many of those would also rather have used it for summer 2023 as well.

Are some people never happy?

We have no knowledge of why people did not activate and there was no requirement, legal or moral, for Interrail to make this offer.

I suspect that there will not be many who did not activate their pass and I suspect that many of those who didn’t will still be in a position they cannot travel, but those who simply miscalculated don’t deserve to lose their money. I am also sure that those who do receive this offer will be surprised and never expected it. 

I am surprised at the generosity as I know they do offer, under exceptional circumstances, the opportunity to exchange the pass for the usual 15% fee. The new pass has to be at current prices and valued equal to or greater than the pass you are exchanging.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That's true @Al_G, I would also have bought one for this summer…

I guess they were/are afraid of legal issues with all the bugs that happened right before the due date

Will they refund people that had to buy a new pass ? I don't think so :/

A bit late to announce this 2 weeks after the last activation date too

Last year I also bought a 2 months pass for the winter or like pre summer holiday but if I knew this earlier I also would have like to extend it into the summer :( 

I feel a little bit sad by this to be honest and because i was scared to lose the money I anticipated for April instead of July for summer. 

I really hope that Interrail would do something to help the travelers that have the same problem.

greets, 

Winston

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have genuinely just received an email from British Airways extending the use by date of some vouchers due to end soon in case I don’t use them. I didn’t expect nor request the extension but I appreciate the gesture. Should I use the concession or write them off as I was planning? IMHO this is good customer service.

I am sure the few who have received this offer from Interrail let their promotional passes lapse expected this offer and accepted the loss. Especially those who simply misjudged the last activation date.

As far as I can see the unexpected outcome of this offer will be people will buy in sales or even full price expecting to have an automatic extension beyond the last activation date - I have already seen a post from a person buying in the black Friday sale thinking they got 11 months when the T&C s were specific that it had to be activated by May 1st - should IR extend those passes?

IMHO It is totally different from those who planned to use at the last minute and had technical issues - that does require IR to make restitution on a case by case basis.