7 Days (1 Month) or 10 Days (2 Months) Pass?

• 25 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 15 replies

Hello,

This is the first time me and my family will use a Eurail Pass. We are planning to take our daughter (who will be 15 in September) to Europe during end of year. So, we are planning to travel from London to Paris to Chamonix Mont Blanc to Milan to Venice to Florence between Dec 26th 2022 and January 03rd 2023.

Based on this i think we could use a 7 Days Pass, correct? Is it better to take a Mobile Pass? I am a bit concerned if I do not get Roaming Coverage at some country and then I am not able to get into the app to get my Ticket.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks,

Annunziante Di Mare

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As such yes, BUT DO be aware
this is not the best time to travel-on 25/12 and 1/1 many trains are cancelled and anyone sits @ home and celebrates. You have also again managed to choose some of the trains that are very, very hard to get seats on for passholders, plus if can, with high extra charges.

For now timings and fares for those dates are not known yet. BUT I would certainly advise you to check what normal bookings-as fixed advance-would cost for your group vs all the extra cumbersome hassles to do with a pass.

Also many HTLs etc are closed those days-noone comes-or only offer very expensive special plans with MIN stays etc. By now most modern trains, stations and about any HTL etc will offer free wifi-I myself (but I am EUR) rely on that and have only a prepaid plan for the fone for case of emergency.

Paper passes must be sent out, takes an awful long time to arrange and it often goes astray as we can read daily here.

Badge

Thanks mcadv for your feedback. I need to make the most out of the time we have during this winter break, and we are trying to take our daughter to some of the places she wants to visit plus the snow factor (we live in Florida, hence why the novelty for her about snow and winter activities).

I am concerned about the logistics indeed. We arrive in London on Dec 22nd and depart on Dec 26 from London to Paris which should be Ok, then on the 27 from Paris to Chamonix (I’m considering flying to Geneva and then go to Chamonix). Then I will probably go from Geneva to Milan by Train again. From there a day trip to Lake Como and then moving to Venice to receive New Year there and then the tricky part of leaving Venice on Jan 01st to Florence, so we can fly back from Florence to London on Jan 03rd to stay there until the 06th. That’s so far the plan.

As I might be mixing train and flights, maybe the pass won’t be the best option, but getting the train tickets directly with the train service provider (normal booking). I gotta check how soon I can get those tickets, so I can book hotels too…

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

every year in the second Sunday in December there is in Europe the start of the new timetable for trains, so be aware that searching for the timetable can be possible only from October for some countries to some weeks before for some others. 

Badge

Thanks @Angelo I will keep an eye on those TimeTables around that time. I thought I might have visibility of those times earlier in the year to book the required segments way in advanced, but I see that will not be the case.

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks mcadv for your feedback. I need to make the most out of the time we have during this winter break, and we are trying to take our daughter to some of the places she wants to visit plus the snow factor (we live in Florida, hence why the novelty for her about snow and winter activities).

I am concerned about the logistics indeed. We arrive in London on Dec 22nd and depart on Dec 26 from London to Paris which should be Ok, then on the 27 from Paris to Chamonix (I’m considering flying to Geneva and then go to Chamonix). Then I will probably go from Geneva to Milan by Train again. From there a day trip to Lake Como and then moving to Venice to receive New Year there and then the tricky part of leaving Venice on Jan 01st to Florence, so we can fly back from Florence to London on Jan 03rd to stay there until the 06th. That’s so far the plan.

As I might be mixing train and flights, maybe the pass won’t be the best option, but getting the train tickets directly with the train service provider (normal booking). I gotta check how soon I can get those tickets, so I can book hotels too…

Many thanks.

Have you considered flying to Paris from London - flights are already timetabled and the Eurostar fees for reservation are about £30 each - if you can even get one at a reasonable time. Train travelling in Europe on the relatively short journeys you plan on are reasonably priced and possibly less in total than the Global pass. Indicative prices can be seen at many sites online e.g. oebb.com and final prices can be seen nearer the time once updated timetables are issued.

As an example a journey from Geneva to Milan would be 80 to 100 euro pp.  Venice to Florence from 30 to 60 euro pp. 

Reduced frequency of trains may force premium prices but these are the sort of numbers that show passes may not be cost effective for your itinerary. Also reduced services may affect the seats available for pass holders.

I certainly agree with previous replies that you have chosen a very difficult period to travel in Europe not least because different countries have a range of “special days” which messes up hotel and travel more than just Xmas Day, Boxing day and New Years Day.