Skip to main content

I accidently bought an Interrail pass instead of a Eurorail pass. I am not a European citizen and therefore should have the Eurorail pass.

I did not notice and I already traveled 2/4 days in Europe using this pass.  Now I am trying to travel and I see that the trips I planned are not possible because of an inbound/outbound rule.  May I switch my pass to the correct pass for Eurorail for the remaining two days? I have used Eurorail before, and purchasing the Interrail was a genuine error.  I should not be able to even purchase this pass as a US citizen. I used my US passport numbers when purchasing the pass.  

I travel in 2 days and I contacted the chat using the support but only received automated response answers. What do I do? I need to be able to complete this route. 

(Since it's a genuine error which you can explain to staff if needed + you still have a valid ticket, I would continue using it in my opinion.

Did you have issues until now ? Staff rarely look at your passport and even then they'd check first/last names and date of birth.)

EDIT : My bad, didn't read about the inbound/outbound issues. Which country did you choose as your country of residence ? Then yes it could be an issue as you won't be able to log those trains.

You could contact https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new and mention "URGENT" in the header.

I never had issues until now, but I see that due to the inbound/outbound rules, the trip I want to take says that can not use my pass again in the country. (Germany)

I am worried that the train conductor in this country will scan my pass and say that my ticket is not valid here.  Does that happen? Or will they just see that I have an interrail pass?

Yeah my bad, I edited my post.

Which country did you select as your residence ? EDIT : Germany, okay.

Which journeys are you looking to make ? If nothing works it might be useful to get the Deutschlandticket for 49€ : a month of travel on all regional trains, trams, buses, subways basically. But of course that's a last-minute solution.

The system will block you from adding a train in your country of residence so it could be complicated to show staff you have a valid ticket.

Of course explaining the situation generally helps but you can always find strict staff.

While adding a pass day you also have to agree on using an inbound/outbound journey. Didn't this happen to you?

I think I must have selected Germany - I am trying to go from Nuremberg to Berlin in 2 days

I did happen to me that I had to agree on the inbound/outbound trip but I was confused and did not think anything of it when it happened.

The Deutschland ticket is not valid on ICE trains, which I would need to use to complete my trip (its a timing issue to make another connecting train)

Yes it's not valid on ICEs. The journey is doable on regional trains but it'd take quite long for sure. Otherwise there are ICE tickets for 52-80€ (depending on time) if nothing can be done.

We'll wait until the morning to see if our expert @rvdborgt and 2 Eurail staff @Camilo. @Mukhammad have more knowledge on this situation.

Contact customer service immediately to ask what's possible:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Mention your pass number and when you next journey with the pass will be.

They might offer to make the current pass invalid if you buy another one, with a partial refund. You will probably have to send photo/scan of your non-European passport. Whether buying a new pass is good idea for you will depend on how much you still want to travel in Germany.

Hi @thibcabe & @jenbild10 , as what @rvdborgt explained, the only solution is by contacting our customer service team