Solved

Apps questions: journey entries, pass activation & activate a travel day (connect journeys to pass et al)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

I have 3 eurail passes (1 adult & 2 seniors) for France. This is my first time using a pass. 

I’ve read and watched the video https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started 

Upon landing at Paris CDG on May 11, will take the afternoon TGV from the airport train station:

• CDG TGV to Colmar (May 11)
    • TGV 9874 16:52 to 18:41 (seat reservations bought)
    • 10 min transfer in Strasbourg
    • TER 96235 18:51 to 19:21 Strasbourg to Colmar 

Question1: (trip entries in app)

In the Rail Planner app, I have 3 journeys under “My Trip” for May 11

1. TGV 9874 CDG TGV to Colmar 16:52 to 19:21
  2. TER 96235 Strasbourg to Colmar 18:51 to 19:21
  3. TER 32331 Strasbourg to Colmar 19:21 to 19:53

#2: I think #2 is not necessary as it’s already included in #1. Is that right?

#3: I’m concerned if we can’t make the 10 min transfer at Strasbourg and therefore added the next train which at 19:21.

Will I be penalized for having duplicate or additional trips/journes for an activated travel day? (Please note that I’ve not activated any travel day yet. I’m thinking ahead.)

Question2: (pass activation)

I’ve read in the forum, the best practice is NOT to activate the pass early. Since my first usage day is May 11, so to be safe, I should activate my pass with May 11 as the start date after landing at CDG that morning. Is that correct? 

Also is it possible for me to enter the passport # ahead of time? For example, enter the details, choose a far away date to activate the pass. Then deactivate the pass immediately.

Will the passport # be saved or I still have input it again when I activate the pass again?

Question3: (activate a travel day / connect journeys to pass / create ticket for travel)

Again I’ve read it is best activate a travel day when you are about to board the train. I can’t see this now but I’m guessing, after I’ve activated the passes, then I go to “My Trip” for each person, then slide the toggle over so it goes from grey to orange. I can then show my ticket from “My Pass”, tap “Show Ticket” but need to do it 3 times as there are 3 passes for us. Is this right?

Thank you very much in advance. 

icon

Best answer by Schelte 1 May 2024, 16:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi

I have 3 eurail passes (1 adult & 2 seniors) for France. This is my first time using a pass. 

I’ve read and watched the video https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started 

Upon landing at Paris CDG on May 11, will take the afternoon TGV from the airport train station:

• CDG TGV to Colmar (May 11)
    • TGV 9874 16:52 to 18:41 (seat reservations bought)
    • 10 min transfer in Strasbourg
    • TER 96235 18:51 to 19:21 Strasbourg to Colmar 

Question1: (trip entries in app)

In the Rail Planner app, I have 3 journeys under “My Trip” for May 11

1. TGV 9874 CDG TGV to Colmar 16:52 to 19:21
  2. TER 96235 Strasbourg to Colmar 18:51 to 19:21
  3. TER 32331 Strasbourg to Colmar 19:21 to 19:53

#2: I think #2 is not necessary as it’s already included in #1. Is that right?

#3: I’m concerned if we can’t make the 10 min transfer at Strasbourg and therefore added the next train which at 19:21.

Will I be penalized for having duplicate or additional trips/journes for an activated travel day? (Please note that I’ve not activated any travel day yet. I’m thinking ahead.)

You are correct: nr 1 includes both the TGV and the TER. If you miss the TER due to the delay of the TGV you could activate the next ter (as they don't overlap in time that shouldn't be a problem). You could even not do so and explain that you've missed the originally planned connection, but it is clearer if you do.

Question2: (pass activation)

I’ve read in the forum, the best practice is NOT to activate the pass early. Since my first usage day is May 11, so to be safe, I should activate my pass with May 11 as the start date after landing at CDG that morning. Is that correct? 

Also is it possible for me to enter the passport # ahead of time? For example, enter the details, choose a far away date to activate the pass. Then deactivate the pass immediately.

Will the passport # be saved or I still have input it again when I activate the pass again?

Indeed. If your flight is cancelled, delayed or whatever, you might forget to cancel it on time. Passport number is not remembered, unfortunately.

Question3: (activate a travel day / connect journeys to pass / create ticket for travel)

Again I’ve read it is best activate a travel day when you are about to board the train. I can’t see this now but I’m guessing, after I’ve activated the passes, then I go to “My Trip” for each person, then slide the toggle over so it goes from grey to orange. I can then show my ticket from “My Pass”, tap “Show Ticket” but need to do it 3 times as there are 3 passes for us. Is this right?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Indeed, you can only couple one pass to one trip, so you'll need to do this 3 times.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you @Schelte for the confirmation and replies. 

Will need to have passport #s close by to activate the passes 😜 I wish it would be smarter in the future. I’m not crazy about taking out my passport at the airport in a new country. I’m cautious as I will need it for the rest of my travel. LOL Luckily I’m not alone. Let’s hope my Orange eSim card work properly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It might be a better idea indeed to just have the numbers somewhere on your phone or written down. You only need the number.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It might be a better idea indeed to just have the numbers somewhere on your phone or written down. You only need the number.

Yes a good idea & tip. Thanks @Schelte