Skip to main content

I am planning a trip throughout france and switzerland. when i search the eurorail website, fast trains are not included, and they show me 5 to 6 hour travel times.  but when i do a basic google search, shorter trips (2 or 3 hours) are available on the  same partner railways.  

if the fast trains for the partner rails are excluded, i may consider spending extra for shorter travel times and buy individual ticket. 

I don’t know what you are searching but the vast majority of trains in France and Switzerland are valid.

High speed TGV and Intercities in France and between France and other countries require additional reservation fees.

Perhaps your search is for non-reservation trains which in France in particular will often yield less frequent and much slower options.

In Switzerland nearly all trains do not require additional reservations, the only trains not included are a small number of tourist oriented services.

There are other reasons why your search results may differ, if you give examples of what journeys you are looking at you will get more specific answers.

thank you for this.  My itinerary follows:
Paris to Geneva - .the shortest journey on the eurorail site  shows a 4h22m travel time with one train change with TGV9775).  The google search shows a minimunl travel time of 3h15. 

I got similar results with the following trips

Geneva to Lyon - stay a few nights
Lyon to Dijon - Stay a few nights

Dijon to Zurich - stay a few nights

Zurich to Paris

appreciate your inputs 

I don’t know what you are searching but the vast majority of trains in France and Switzerland are valid.

High speed TGV and Intercities in France and between France and other countries require additional reservation fees.

Perhaps your search is for non-reservation trains which in France in particular will often yield less frequent and much slower options.

In Switzerland nearly all trains do not require additional reservations, the only trains not included are a small number of tourist oriented services.

There are other reasons why your search results may differ, if you give examples of what journeys you are looking at you will get more specific answers.

Use a reliable planner like bahn.com or even better the company websites so sncf-connect.com for France.

Direct TGVs between France and Switzerland are expensive : 29€ seat reservation fee 2nd class and more expensive in 1st class. However if you board the same train within France (Bellegarde for Geneva or Mulhouse, Strasbourg for Basel, Zurich) it only costs 10€ (limited fare), then it's 20€ (same for 2nd or 1st).

You can have a better look here at availability and prices : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

- Geneva - Lyon : reservation-free

- Lyon - Dijon : reservation-free unless you take a TGV (not much faster as there's no high-speed railway)

- Dijon - Mulhouse : 10-20€ for the TGV but can also be done reservation-free crossing the beautiful Jura mountains (a bit slower though)