Skip to main content

Hello my family and I are hoping to travel from the UK to Spain (travelling across the Channel into Paris, down to Barcelona then down to Malaga in Spain).

My wife is Spanish and holds a Spanish Passport and ID card. Myself and our child only hold a UK passport.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I believe as my wife is a Spanish National, she can purchase the Interail pass (which appears to be cheaper than a Eurail pass), however can she purchase 2 for us as well - and can my child and I use them, as we are non EU citizens (thanks to the stupidity of Brexit!)???

No, everybody needs to buy an Interrail pass. The UK is still geographically located in Europe. The validity area isn't restricted at all to the European Union borders : Norway, Switzerland and the UK are for example fully included and use Interrail.

Eurail and Interrail exactly cost the same but one is in € and the other in $.

myinterrail.co.uk offers a bit cheaper passes btw

Another question : when are you travelling ? Eurostar and TGV to Barcelona are very popular so book well in advance. Keep in mind that you need to add seat reservations :

- 30€ Eurostar (passholders quota)

- 35€ TGV Paris - Barcelona

- 10€ AVE Barcelona - Malaga

However regular tickets are very expensive anyway...

@thibcabe - thanks so much for your answer that clears the confusion up on my part. We are hoping to travel in August so it might likely be too late …..anyway i will check this out more now appreciate it! :)

Unfortunately you cannot check Eurostar availability on interrail.eu until you've bought a pass so check here : https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Do not hesitate for questions mentioning your travel date, I'll gladly help. It should still be possible to travel, maybe unless on a Sunday. Definitely book ASAP though.

There are a few alternatives, for example :

- if London - Paris is full check London - Lille

- if Paris - Barcelona is full check Paris - Montpellier and cross the border using regional trains

- etc.

As long as regular tickets are available on sncf-connect.com, seats are available.