Caledonian sleeper Glasgow to London then Eurostar to Paris (1 pass travel day)

• 16 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Caledonian sleeper Glasgow to London then Eurostar to Paris (1 pass travel day)

Caledonian Sleeper. Reserved  the accommodation-Glasgow to London - then Eurostar to Paris. I have read all the information regarding the "should only be one pass" and I cannot get this to be accepted as 1 pass on the app. Can anyone help? I travel on Friday.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

A workaround for sleepers from Glasgow, Edinburgh and London - Glasgow/Edinburgh is to enter the later departure times for their intermediate pick-up points. Watford Junction for London and Carstairs for Glasgow and Edinburgh departures. These are normally after midnight, except on Sundays or when the service is altered.

thx,

While i have been searching, i found the option to create your own journey on the app. i added the same journey ie from Glasgow leaving at 00:00 and not 23:40  then arriving at 7:07 as it normally would. Think this should work?

The view ticket option shows Glasgow to London valid for the arrival date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, that will also generate the pass day for the correct day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It seems strange that we need workrounds because the system works in CET but does not adjust for travel in other time zones. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It seems strange that we need workrounds because the system works in CET but does not adjust for travel in other time zones. 

The issue here is that Caledonian Sleeper want you to use the arrival date. We had a discussion about this before, I believe with Nanja.

The fact that the app doesn't adhere to its own rules with midnight CET as the cut-off between travel days just adds to the fun, I suppose.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The issue here is that Caledonian Sleeper want you to use the arrival date. We had a discussion about this before, I believe with Nanja.

The fact that the app doesn't adhere to its own rules with midnight CET as the cut-off between travel days just adds to the fun, I suppose.

I must have missed the previous thread, but I am confused why the Caledonian Sleeper has any problem with the ticket produced by the pass?

My first reaction to the thread was just that somebody was trying to manipulate the 2 day rule until I remembered the CET travel day started at 2300 in the UK, hence my assumption that it was the CET problem.

Hmmmm

I will explain my scenario as I have just come across this thread.

I am travelling from Berlin to Aberdeen on one day using the mobile app and I live in the UK.

So I thought that Brussels to Aberdeen would count as one day of the interrail, but this appears to infer that this is actually 2 days. As the Aberdeen sleeper leaves at 21:15 UK time, it's well before 00:00 CET. so it would count as one day. So I had assumed that Brussels to Aberdeen would be one day of my pass.

I am also using the pass to get back from Edinburgh to continent as my second day.

Should I be fine or have I royally screwed up(I think I am fine to be honest)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am travelling from Berlin to Aberdeen on one day using the mobile app and I live in the UK.

So I thought that Brussels to Aberdeen would count as one day of the interrail,

Correct, as long as you board all your trains on the same day.

but this appears to infer that this is actually 2 days. As the Aberdeen sleeper leaves at 21:15 UK time, it's well before 00:00 CET. so it would count as one day. So I had assumed that Brussels to Aberdeen would be one day of my pass.

Why do you think you are using 2 travel days for Berlin-Aberdeen?

but this appears to infer that this is actually 2 days. As the Aberdeen sleeper leaves at 21:15 UK time, it's well before 00:00 CET. so it would count as one day. So I had assumed that Brussels to Aberdeen would be one day of my pass.

Why do you think you are using 2 travel days for Berlin-Aberdeen?

Having looked at other threads, it’s clear it’s one travel day but as the train spilts 3 ways at Edinburgh I need to add this in manually when the time comes.

Thanks for the help..

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

The sleepers from/to Aberdeen and Fort William are not in the app as direct trains. Can this be fixed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

The sleepers from/to Aberdeen and Fort William are not in the app as direct trains. Can this be fixed?

Hi @rvdborgt,

Yes, we are aware of the issue. Unfortunately, as all railway carriers start delivering new data to Merits in this period, it regularly happens that Merits has incomplete or mismatching data for trains, coming from different carriers. This could mean there are different departure or arrival times, different stations or very different operating days etc coming in data sent by carriers. 

We have noticed couple of cases where the timetable can be very confusing and doesn’t show a direct train.

The workaround for now is only to add the direct train manually as shown on the carrier’s timetable.