Solved

Can a Eurail global pass holder get a discount on train tickets with a fully reserved Eurail pass?

• 7 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I recently had a strange experience while using my Eurail pass for the first time. My friend visited a rail station to reserve tickets for our upcoming travels from Rome to Florence and Monterosso to Milano, and the lady at the counter asked for our pass numbers, stating that we would still be eligible for a discount on these travels. The lady then reserved the tickets for us at a total cost of €35 for two trips and two people. It's worth noting that these two travels are not happening during the four days that we have already reserved.

However, I am still unsure whether this is accurate information or whether we can indeed avail of a discount on these travels, even though our passes are already fully reserved for four days. I want to make sure that we are following the correct procedures and not violating any rules or regulations.

I contacted Italia Rail regarding this issue, but they advised me to contact Eurail directly for clarification. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know whether this is allowed? Any information or clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 7 May 2023, 21:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You must have,a valid travel day to use the reservations. Without a valid travel day you risk getting a heavy fine and to get thrown off the train.

The ticket lady doesn't know what days you will use your pass. If you ask for Interrail/Eurail reservations she will sell them. Then it is up to you to have a valid ticket. 

Thank you for bringing up the importance of having a valid travel day and mentioning the risk of fines or being asked to leave the train without one. My friend did inform the ticket lady that all my travel days were already reserved and showed her the dates on the app. However, counter lady still insisted that a discount was available for us.

Given this conflicting information, I think it would be best to contact Eurail directly to confirm whether this discount is valid and allowed. I want to ensure that I'm following the correct procedures and not violating any rules or regulations. Thank you for your advice and guidance on this matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

€35 is a strange amount for 2 people. That's €17,50 per person, which does not really match with reservation prices in Italy. What exact amounts have you paid for which journeys? In any case, if you received pass reservations instead of the tickets you asked, then they should be refundable before the travel date. You can just go back to the ticket office and get correct tickets.

Further, Italiarail is a US travel agent who sells passes and tickets for Italy and they are not involved here. The train operator is Trenitalia.

Thank youf for the information! I will contact the conerned team or authorities asap.