Solved

Can I use the few trains in my country of residence?

• 5 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello, I am planing a trip from Germany to Roma Termini (Italy)  this year. I want to start from Mannheim (Germany) and the best way to Italy is, when I travel from Mannheim (Germany) to Munich (Germany) and then with another train out of my country. I read somewhere that the first train needs to bring me out of my country where I live. My question is, can I travel from Mannheim to Munich and with a train and from there out of my country or isn‘t that allowed? I am a little bit confused because i thougt I can travel everywhere with the global pass, also with a few trains in my own country.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 April 2022, 17:06

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I read somewhere that the first train needs to bring me out of my country where I live.

Where did you read that? In any case, that's not correct.

My question is, can I travel from Mannheim to Munich and with a train and from there out of my country or isn‘t that allowed?

That's allowed. You can travel in your country of residence on 2 of your travel days. On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like.

,,The Interrail Global Pass is valid for travel in your country of residence during one outbound journey and one inbound journey that occur during travel days at any point in your trip.‘‘ 

I think this is the sentence in the description of the global pass that i didn‘t understood. This is the first time using this pass and my friend and I thought because of the word ,,one‘‘ that you have one train to get out of your country. 
Now I understand it. Thank you very much :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Right, ok. A journey can of course consist of multiple trains. Have fun!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As an easy to do ALT-and using this pass to full advantage, so koennte mann auch zB:

ab S-bhf (DB) nach MH, ueber Schwarzwald nach Basel-meander a bit via Swiss-its trains are so expensive that you get good worth of it, then on to Milano (use TreNord from Chiasso, saves money) and then around 23.00 the TrenIT overnight to Roma. is probably cheaper too for the supplmt vor overnight. You can on that day board any train and finish it even after 24.00

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Danielle, you can use up 2 of your travel days for inbound/ outbound journeys to leave your country at the beginning of your trip or to go back back home at the end of your trip. For each inbound/ outbound journey you can use as many trains as necessary to reach your destination as long as it fits into one travel day. I hope that helps. More information can be found here. Cheers,

I am residing in Turkey. But I came to Germany with the Erasmus program and I am living here until October 2022. My permanent residence is in Turkey. Right now, I will take advantage of the 50% discount of the interrail pass and buy a ticket where I can travel unlimited for a month. I will start my journey in Germany and finish it in Germany. Is this a problem? In the ticket information, it is said that there is only one right to go and one return to the country of residence. In this case, if I start from Germany, can I use it once in Germany? Do I have to start my trip from Turkey?