Solved

Can the time to activate ticket be extended?

• 6 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

My question is regarding the 11 months stated in which you have to activate a global pass. Can that 11 months be extended?

I wanted to take advantage of the sale before I book my break from my job. I very much doubt it will be a problem getting the career break accepted by my employer but I often think it is better to be safe than sorry. It took me longer to get my passport countersigned or I’d have been better organised than this.

A little background. I have wanted to travel since I was young (not young anymore, at least physically😁). I can much better afford to travel Europe now and feel I need a break from my job of 20 years. I therefore wish to apply for my company’s career break policy. I have spoken to managers about the break and have been told it shouldn’t be a problem but I am not sure if I can know it has been accepted before the sale ends.

As I would be spending a significant £900, or so, I want to be sure of this. If I miss the sale it won’t be a devastating thing but obviously getting 10% off is appealing.

I did ask this question to the chatbot but the answer was not 100% certain. 

There is no doubt in my mind I will be travelling. I need this break from work and if I can’t travel August I will do it March/April 2024.

Can I expect another sale before August?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 March 2023, 15:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My question is regarding the 11 months stated in which you have to activate a global pass. Can that 11 months be extended?

That is unlikely.

Based on previous years, probably not. There will probably be another one in December or January.

These sales are not announced in advance, but do subscribe to the Interrail newsletter to be informed as soon as a sale starts.

Userlevel 2
Badge

That is unlikely.

Based on previous years, probably not. There will probably be another one in December or January.

These sales are not announced in advance, but do subscribe to the Interrail newsletter to be informed as soon as a sale starts.

Okay, thank you, rvdborgt.

Like I say it won’t be a huge issue if I miss the sale. £100, in the grand scheme of things, won’t be huge if I plan to spend a good few grand.

Hopefully, if I can get my time off accepted by 15th I can still take advantage of the sale. Maybe I’ll wait for now.

I appreciate the quick answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are the promotional passes refundable?

Usually you can refund unused passes for a 15% fee, so you could factor that into your calculations. You would end up with an almost free option. (If they’re refundable.)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Are the promotional passes refundable?

Usually you can refund unused passes for a 15% fee, so you could factor that into your calculations. You would end up with an almost free option. (If they’re refundable.)

They are, but it would be cheaper to just wait and pay the non sale price. 10% extra versus 15% fee.

I would definitely end up buying again because I will definitely be doing this at some point. I need this break from work.

I did wonder if exchanging for a new global pass was an option. I saw something about a 10% fee to do so but didn’t know if exchanging one global pass for a similar, because one missed the 11 months to activate, was an available option.

Hopefully work are fast and I can make the 15th cut off for the sale. If not I’ll have to accept an extra £100.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. 😁

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

That is unlikely.

I'm not sure, but couldn't you achieve this by exchanging the passes for new passes (€15 fee + price difference)? I'm not sure if you can change it to exactly the same pass though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm not sure, but couldn't you achieve this by exchanging the passes for new passes (€15 fee + price difference)? I'm not sure if you can change it to exactly the same pass though.

That should actually be possible, indeed, as long as your pass is exchangeable.

Userlevel 2
Badge

That is unlikely.

That should actually be possible, indeed, as long as your pass is exchangeable.

Something to consider, thanks.