Solved

cannes to stropez train and ferry

Can we travel from Cannes to st tropez by train and ferry? On the pass? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 28 September 2022, 17:47

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Bad news:

ferry never included

Local trains here are NOT taking any passes anymore since 1/7

Local buses cost only 1-2 €/single, train a little more for normal ticket

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That decision was reversed today.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That decision was reversed today.

@rvdborgt , i was researching to see if any trains go to Saint-tropez for the tail end of my trip, and found this thread. It looks like there aren’t any direct trains to Saint-tropez and the closest one is St. Raphael Valescure… since it shows up on the SNCF timetable, and SNCF is covered, is it safe to assume I can take this route if I wanted to? There are zero stations anywhere near Saint Tropez according to the station map, so I just want to know if I can plan my routes so long as the supported train lines are on the Eurail page https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspired/trains-europe/useful-train-information/participating-railway-companies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

SNCF trains are covered. To get to Saint-Tropez though you will need to catch a bus somewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just back from that area and I can assure you the trains along the coast all take the pass. If you have a flexi pass with limited travel days you may wish to check out local prices rather than use a travel day.

The most frequent trains along the coast run from Ventimiglia to Cannes, but to get from Cannes to St Raphael V, you need the infrequent (approx hourly) service  - beware the TGVs when you plan.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just back from that area and I can assure you the trains along the coast all take the pass. If you have a flexi pass with limited travel days you may wish to check out local prices rather than use a travel day.

The most frequent trains along the coast run from Ventimiglia to Cannes, but to get from Cannes to St Raphael V, you need the infrequent (approx hourly) service  - beware the TGVs when you plan.

such wonderful news!!! thank you 🥰

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

- beware the TGVs when you plan.

Just to confirm, (this is my first time using Eurail), you said to beware because TGV is one that requires a seat reservation right? @Yorkie 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes - it is only a short distance at non TGV speed on that line, but you have to pay a full reservation of 10 euros - there are only a couple a day that you can use your pass anyway. I paid the same res fee for Nice to Paris as you would pay for Cannes to St Raph.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

there are only a couple a day that you can use your pass anyway. I paid the same res fee for Nice to Paris as you would pay for Cannes to St Raph.

Wow nice!!! @paying same res fee from Nice to Paris!

So sorry to keep asking q’s.. Can you clarify what you mean when you say there are only a couple days you can use your pass? I thought there was no limit unless you lived in a certain country 

or do you mean that there are only a couple of trains that run a day in this area? 

thanks in advance! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

there are only a couple a day that you can use your pass anyway. I paid the same res fee for Nice to Paris as you would pay for Cannes to St Raph.

Wow nice!!! @paying same res fee from Nice to Paris!

So sorry to keep asking q’s.. Can you clarify what you mean when you say there are only a couple days you can use your pass? I thought there was no limit unless you lived in a certain country 

or do you mean that there are only a couple of trains that run a day in this area? 

thanks in advance! 

No problem - it wasn’t as clear as I thought. 

There are 4 or 5 TGVs a day on that line but some of them are operated by a company not in the Interrail network.

You can of course travel on any number of trains in a single day as you want.

An alternative to St Tropez could be Monte Carlo - We stayed near M C  station last week for 2 days and tripped to Juan - le - Pins and Cannes using Interrail, so Cannes to MC is an easy trip.