Compensation For Two Travellers on 21 Nov

• 22 November 2022
  • 7 replies

1. Train IC146 (from Berlin Ost to Amsterdam Centraal) cancellation

2. Advised by the train station staff. Train ICE942 (from Berlin Ost to Hannover Hbf) one-hour delay

3. Train IC146 (from Hannover Hbf to Amsterdam Centraal) cancellation

4. Advised by the train station staff. We took (the fast and best alternatives) train IC2048 from Hannover Hbf to Dortmund Hbf -> train ICE1013 from Dortmund Hbf to Duisburg Hbf -> train RE19 from Duisburg Hbf to Arnhem Centraal -> train IC3064 from Arnhem Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal
- Arrived at our destination Amsterdam Centraal at 19:44, which is three hours late than our original plan (train IC146 should have arrived at Amsterdam Centraal at 16:50)

5. Missed connecting train ES9167 (Eurostar from Amsterdam Centraal to London St Pancras Intl / the last train on the day) due to DB trains delays and cancellations
- Eurostar itinerary: 18:39 - 21:57
- 2 seats: coach 13 seat 55 & coach 13 seat 56

6. Overnight accommodation at the cheapest hotel nearby Amsterdam Central
The Old Nickel Hotel
- Twin room
- 21 Nov - 22 Nov
- €81.41 room rate + 2 people x €3 tourist tax = €87.41

7. Meals occurred due to trains delays and cancellations
- 21st Dinner at SI-CHUAN KITCHEN: €60 (€58.1 + €1.9 tips)

Please provide me with Eurail email addreres so that I could attach all the required documents to you. And pelase help to forward my request to DB so that I could also claim my compensation from them.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please remove name and pass number above. 

There is no one in the community that can help you with requesting delay compensation. You need to do that yourself. 

Here you can read about the delay compensation that you can get from Eurail.

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/delay-compensation

Here is information about delay compensation from Deutsche Bahn.

https://www.bahn.com/en/booking-information/passenger-rights/passengers-rights-claim-form

Please remove name and pass number above. 

There is no one in the community that can help you with requesting delay compensation. You need to do that yourself. 

Here you can read about the delay compensation that you can get from Eurail.

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/delay-compensation

Here is information about delay compensation from Deutsche Bahn.

https://www.bahn.com/en/booking-information/passenger-rights/passengers-rights-claim-form

thanks so much Anna.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Overnight accommodation and an evening meal should have been provided by Dutch railways. Interrail will probably forward that part of the claim. What did Dutch railways offer themselves?

Did Eurostar rebook you without any problems on a train the next day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You might have made it-but with probably then probs with the €*, to not take the very roundabout route via AMS but direct -on to Köln from Duisburg-ICE to Brussel/BE and catch perhaps even same €* from there. There is theory and praxis for all these cost and NS is not well known for doling out HTL etc. Plus that they for now have many monthes of backlogs to handle claims-no staff.

Overnight accommodation and an evening meal should have been provided by Dutch railways. Interrail will probably forward that part of the claim. What did Dutch railways offer themselves?

Did Eurostar rebook you without any problems on a train the next day?

Hey thanks. Should I just fill in the online compensation form on Eurail website (I suppose they will handle the train delay/cancellation parts and forward the overnight accommodation and meal parts to the DB?) Or should I do it seperatly (i.e., train delay/cancellation on Eurail website and mail overnight accommodation and meal receipts to DB). I am quite confused and have no idea what should I do now. Yes I managed to rebook my Eurostar with no extra cost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would start with Eurail/Interrail customer service and no doubt they will then advise you on which way to progress your claims. However they do prioritise their responses based on urgency of current travellers so it may take some time to get a response, but at least it is currently low season so they should be reasonably responsive at the moment.

I would start with Eurail/Interrail customer service and no doubt they will then advise you on which way to progress your claims. However they do prioritise their responses based on urgency of current travellers so it may take some time to get a response, but at least it is currently low season so they should be reasonably responsive at the moment.

Thanks Yorkie. I have just submitted the compensation form.