Solved

Confused between eurail and interrail

• 2 October 2022
  • 4 replies

I am a non-EU passport holder currently residing in Italy with a valid resident permit as a student.

Can I avail eurail pass or not?

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 5 October 2022, 07:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I interpret the first 2 paragraphs of this page correctly, you can choose between Interrail and Eurail:

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interested-in-eurailing/do-i-need-a-eurail-or-an-interrail-pass

In any case, nobody is going to question you if you have a non-European passport (EU or not is irrelevant) and travel with Eurail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Going by the rules then you are resident in Italy, being a student is irrelevant, so you should only be entitled to Eurail.

As above though, how is anybody going to question it if you have a non-european passport matching the country on a Eurail pass?

Realistically, the only situation where someone is likely to be investigated is if someone resident in a country and uses a long pass for regular commuting type travel and gets noticed by staff.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Hamza Shafiq 

If you are resident in Italy and you have an official confirmation, you are entitled to buy an Interrail Pass. However, you can always buy a Eurail Pass with your non EU Passport. 

Have a lovely day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Hamza Shafiq 

If you are resident in Italy and you have an official confirmation, you are entitled to buy an Interrail Pass. However, you can always buy a Eurail Pass with your non EU Passport. 

Have a lovely day!

Just a minor point - it is not a non-EU passport that matters, it is a non- european passport - one from the UK and other european countries not in the EU but in the Interrail network can only buy Interrail passes.

The exception is when you have residency outside those 33 countries - as a question a few days ago about a UK passport holder who had lived officially in Hong Kong for many years. He would be entitled to a Eurail pass with free movement in all 33 countries.