Solved

Country of residence - student exchange - two residencies

Hi,

I’m finishing my student exchange in July in France. I indicated in the pass that I have Polish residence (as stated on my ID) and planning to start using the pass at the end/after my exchange in France. I’m not sure whether I should’ve put France because I will no longer stay officially in France (I have no proof of my residency, just papers from the University) and also it would be an abuse to use the interrail in Poland (where I will live after my exchange). I’m just afraid that due to frequent passing through France where I have friends I may be eventually fined.

Should it be a problem?

Moreover, could I stay longer in another country (I’m planning to stay one month in Portugal) and use the interrail global pass in another country for a longer period?

Arkadiusz

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 11 May 2022, 13:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you will not be a resident of France, but a resident of Poland, when you use the Interrail pass it is correct that you put Poland as your country of residence.

There is no limit on how much you can travel in a specific country apart from the outbound/inbound rule that says that you only can travel for 2 days in your country of residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

An IR pass IN PT does not really bring much: limited train network-mostly the long north south with some branches and all IC-trains MUST be reserved (for 4 or 5€/ride). CP who runs the trens/pociagow/comboios there also has its own passes, also for smaller regions. PT is also quite hard to reach by train even from ESpana.

There is a kind of rule that a pass is not meant to serve as a longer time commuter pass-like doing daily Paris-Orleans+back (Or Warszawa_Lodz) -but there is no clear ruling what is too much-or not. ON the old style paper passes this was easy to see, on the new mobile not really.